Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve noticed some tt600’s and speed fours have oil coolers fitted and some don’t. Were these optional extras or country/area specific?
Thinking about fitting one to my tt600 (that is now semi-naked) purely as it runs hot anyway so wouldn’t harm it if I were to fit (uk summer time use only)

Would the oil filter be different from the HF191 (or equivalents) if so what oil filter would I need and any ideas how the coolers are mounted?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
Oil cooler? I don't recall an oil cooler on either TT600 I had, nor do I recall an oil cooler on any of the S4s I saw over the years. Do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water fed oil cooling jacket under the oil filter. (Not conventional air cooled like on a bandit) Usually has a water in pipe and water out pipe.
A previous later model tt600 I had that was imported from Europe had one, my current early uk model does not.
Is it a case of buying a jacket an extended spindle plus pipework and screwing it on or are the threads on the block different?

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
Gotcha. I don't know the answer to any of those questions. What I can tell you is that if you are planning something like that, it's a good idea to check clearances. I'm not sure how it would fit with the exhaust header. But, if you have seen it done, then it can be done.

What I found is that a properly running TT600 will see indicated temperatures up to 110 C or more sitting in traffic. The temperature then drops to about 70 C when you are back in motion.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
Good to hear. I'm curious to see what it is you mean. I just flat don't recall anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts