Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am relatively new to biking and am looking for my first 'big' bike. I have ridden a fair few bikes, from Speedfight 2 50cc scooters and Aprilia RX50 trials bikes, through to DT125R's, CR125, CB500 and VFR800 VTEC so I have some experience but not a great deal.

My useage would be a mixture of commuting (40 mile round trip), weekend pleasure riding (including some with the missus on the back, roughly a 150 mile trip each way over a wknd) and the potential for some light touring in Northern France.

So, bearing in mind all this, would you guys recommend the TT600 for my requirements?

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh yeah I would reccomend getting one. Either that or a Speed Four. I pretty much use my speed four for what you describe and it is perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool cool. I'll prob go for a TT as i think the fairing would be beneficial at high speeds - the difference between the CB500 and VFR800 at 80mph was incredible!

Whats the TT600 like for luggage options? And is there any underseat storage?

·
Registered
94 Posts
get one, but you probably don't want to use it with a passenger. anything over 100 lbs in the back and it's fairly ugly, the bike is just not intended for two up. If she is insistent, i'd install a grab rail - the VERY rare riders i do have like it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it's got a metal tank so you can use magnetic tank bags.
I've got some soft luggage from teknic that works pretty well that was about $120

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my Speed 4 last Dec. I was also looking at the TT, since they are the same basic bike. I just love the "Hooligan" feeling I get riding the naked bike. You just look like you could start trouble sitting on the bike. I have a picture of me sitting on the bike in front of Alkatraz. It just seemed fitting. It just seems like the look has a bit more attitude then the TT. I have received more compliments then I expected as well. It's been a great bike. I will post the picture when I get back to Oregon. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
131 Posts
MickyC,

I am selling my Speed four and have fitted the secdem screen, so does help at high speeds.

There are good luggage options im selling mine with a baglux tank cover which a tank bag can be attached, and they also sell tail packs specifically designed for fitting to the Speed four/TT600.

Underseat storage is pretty poor though :(

And as has already been said the speed four gets loads more compliments. If you change your mind get in touch as mines for sale :-D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I just bought a T600 and love it. It's very docile at lower revs but it screams on the top end. Handling is outstanding and it's comfortable enough for long rides. There are a number of sport bags you can get, and as mentioned, you can also use a magnetic tank bag.

I'll agree about the passenger thing, though. It's not really a two-up bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a little concerned about the poor 2-up comments coming through?! Its got a fairly big seat and, with a grab rail installed, I can't really see any reason why it wouldn't be suitable?

If it helps, the missus is only around 7.5 stone (50kg or 110lbs) so about as light as an adult pillion gets! Surely the bike was designed to cope with this?

Also, is the suspension (f + r) adjustable as standard to cope with varying loads? Ta.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Basic ergonomics. The operator's portion of the seat is dished, which lets you touch the ground. And note the position of the pegs, especially the distance to the seat. Remember, that's already a pretty aggressive riding position, though not quite as radical as a GSXR or a 675.

Now, take a look at the passenger section. It's up higher and the seat is rounded off. The pegs are a lot closer to the seat. It's even more radical than the operator's position. There's nothing to give the passenger any sense of security - she's perched up there in what is basically a squatting position and leaned forward to hang on and stay out of the wind.

Now, this isn't too bad for short runs, but it's not something you'd want to endure for any amount of time.

I have a friend with an older Honda Hurricane 1000. Ergonomics are similar. His wife won't ride with him any more because she's just not comfortable.

Now, as a rider, I find the TT seat very comfortable. Way better than the stock seat on my Speed Triple. But it's just not passenger-friendly.

[ This message was edited by: R100Pilot on 2006-12-04 15:11 ]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, i see what you're saying. Comparing it to a VFR800 for instance, which is very good for pillions I'd say from my own experience as one:

Thing is thou, i'm 6ft tall and am comfy on the VFR - the missus being only 5'3" should surely be comfortable on the back of the TT for 150 miles or so? Cos the extra room on the VFR must be equaled by the smaller person on the TT (i.e me vs. her as a pillion?)

Other than that perspective, does the bike itself handle pillions ok? And is the front and rear suspension adjustable?

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
If she is 5'-3, she will probably be just fine. Better yet, have her go with you and sit on it with you to see what she thinks. She may love it or she may hate it. If she is petite in all ways, it is probably fine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Micky - My girlfriend is around 7 1/2 stone and about 5'7". She occasionally rides pillion for trips lasting an hour or two and finds the seat comfortable enough. It's nowhere near as radical for a pillion as an R1 etc.,
Her only complaint is if we nip on to the motorway for a stretch as it can get a bit windy for her at 80mph+ if I forget she's there and crouch down :blush: . A quick bang on the lid and I sit up to protect her from the wind-blast again and she's happy enough :) .
We spend most of our time on A & B roads and she loves it :-D

J

·
0 Posts
i always wondered about triumphs until i bought one now i am hooked i love the way the bike is comfortable for normal use and how nimble and light it feels in the corners

·
Registered
77 Posts
On 2006-12-04 18:20, Rik wrote:
Micky - My girlfriend is around 7 1/2 stone and about 5'7". She occasionally rides pillion for trips lasting an hour or two and finds the seat comfortable enough. It's nowhere near as radical for a pillion as an R1 etc.,
Her only complaint is if we nip on to the motorway for a stretch as it can get a bit windy for her at 80mph+ if I forget she's there and crouch down :blush: . A quick bang on the lid and I sit up to protect her from the wind-blast again and she's happy enough :) .
We spend most of our time on A & B roads and she loves it :-D
My speed four is my first street bike, out of all the 600cc that I looked at it was the most real world, plus the insurance and title/reg was a lot lower than the others.

Rik: What kind of stones are we talking about here? haha

·
Registered
603 Posts
On 2006-12-07 15:37, ender wrote:
Rik: What kind of stones are we talking about here? haha
Confused ones I suspect cos thinking about it I think she's really 8 1/2 stones - difficult to actually remember as girls are so precious about sharing their weight :wink: :???:

1 stone = 14lb to our friends across the water!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are the service intervals on the TT, and is there anything I should be looking for on a 14,000 mile bike? Valve clearance imminent? Any other problems?

Is 14k regarded as high mileage - its a 2000 model bike from a Triumph Dealer?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Forget the TT600 and buy my SPEED FOUR :razz:

2003 53 plate with 7000 miles only, and yours for £2850 with loads of modifications.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts