Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post. WOOHOO.
Anyway, i have a TT600 2001 and this morning i dropped it on its right hand side.
The engine filled with oil so i pull the spark plugs out and kicked it over and pumped the oil out of the engine.
I cleaned up all the excess oil and cleaned out the air intake box (air filter) and noticed something in there that looks like a sensor, cleaned it and put it back in.
I did an oil change and changed the oil filter and then started the bike up (first go WOOHOO, i was so excited) then i noticed on the dash the ENGINE light was illuminated.

What i need to know is, Where is the sensor for that light?
Is that the sensor in the air intake box?

I have read peolpe talking about this sensor in these forums before but i cant find it, so if anyone can help me out that would be fantastic.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Welcome, Zadius! :D

Sounds like you did the right thing with pulling the plugs and getting the oil out. Most of your questions about this bike will be best answered in the Supersport Forum, but this particular question actually applies to pretty much any recent motor vehicle. (And is also a pet peeve of mine. I dropped my bike on a crazy multi-angle hill with really bad pavement because one of those lights came on...)

Anyway... That's the MIL, or Malfunction Indicator Light. It indicates that something is wrong, or maybe was wrong. If something was wrong, but is now ok, it will go off after 3 heat cycles. (Engine up to operating temp, then cools down by at least 30* C.) If something is still wrong, it will stay on after 3 heat cycles. It can mean anything from "your engine will explode in the next 10 seconds" to "your gas cap is not on correctly." (See above re: pet peeve.)

I'm not 100% sure about the 600s, but most Triumphs have a standard OBD-II connector and you should be able to read the stored code with any OBD-II reader, though it may give a code that only a Triumph scanner or Tuneboy understands.

Anyway, long story short, every sensor on the bike is hooked into that light and hooking it up to a computer is the only way to find out why the light is on.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
Did you by any chance turn on the ignition with the tank off (I suspect you did since you say you 'kicked it over & pumped out the oil')
Turning on ignition with fuel pump disconnected (or other sensor) will definitely trip MIL.
Three warm-up/cool-down cycles will turn it back off (assuming there is no permanent fault) if everything is now reconnected.

(Assume you reconnected the airbox sensor after you cleaned & re-installed)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
What they said.:D That was a smart thing to pump the oil out before turning the engine over again. Turning the engine over before getting the oil out is a good way to hydrolock an engine and bend connecting rods.

I'll add two things: See that you plugged the black connector into the air temp (airbox) sensor and not the gray connector. This will give you a fault to earth code, tripping the MIL, as the gray connector is for California emissions equipment.

Also, double check the oil pressure sensor located under the clutch cover on the right, as it is easy to break. This will not have an effect on the MIL, however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah it was the MIL light on and you were right after the third heat cycle it switched off (which i must say i am rather stoked about) :)
I figured that it probably was on because i had dropped it but i really was hoping that it would switch itself off, and it did :)

So all i gotta do now is get the fairing repaired and im laughing.

Thanks again everyone for posting a reply :)

Zadius

1 - 5 of 5 Posts