Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: After a search and some reading, (let that be a lesson to you youngsters out there), I find that 225º is normal...
So...why the coolant overflow after I shut it down?
Could the coolant just have been over full? Bad radiator cap?

On the way home from work I noticed the engine temp hitting 225º F in traffic...
And after I parked it at home, I found this...

So...
Lucky for me, my factory service manual arrived today:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
When mine was overfilled it dripped a few drops, a coin sized pool after a day sitting at work. No where near that amount.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...the antifreeze defiantly came from the coolant tank overflow hose...

Level of antifreeze looks good right now...

I've got the panels off now, so I am going to clean things up, look for anything amiss...put it back together and ride it. (Keeping a close eye on things)...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Coulda just been too high. Mine left me a nice big puddle a month ago but everything's been fine since.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
You probably have a bit of air in the coolant. When the air expands, it pushes coolant out of the system and makes the overflow tank overflow. You have to purge air out of the cooling system. There are a number of threads about this, and it is a fairly common problem with these bikes. Problem is too strong a word - maybe quirk is a better word. Get the air burped out of the system and the problem disappears.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
well assuming you filled it a few months ago in the cold of winter and the temps where you are have been rising like here?

That could be your answer, if not listen to the other guys, it never hurts to check for air.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well assuming you filled it a few months ago in the cold of winter and the temps where you are have been rising like here?

That could be your answer, if not listen to the other guys, it never hurts to check for air.
I just picked it up from a dealer earlier this week...supposedly they checked/changed all the fluids...
I suspect they overfilled it...I took her for a good, long, hard ride yesterday and all was well...:)

BTW...they overfilled the oil, also....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
yeah, sounds like the typical lazy mechanic "splash a load in to top it up".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was out for about three hours yesterday...had the engine temp up in the 225º range several times in traffic...

No problems...level is good...all is well...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts