Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a road trip to my triumph dealer the other day and picked up the oil for my 01 TT600 ,$60 a gallon!(mobil 1 15w-50) i do however have one question i never got a manual with the bike and i havent ordered one yet, so how much oil does this thing need? i asked the guys at the shop and they said " just fill it till its full" i somehow doubt that triumph recomended oil level is "fill till full"

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
TTiwoa,

The one gallon jug is suposed to fill it up with just a little bit left in the jug when you change the oil and filter.

Just make sure you hold the bike upright, not on side stand when you check the oil level. It should come up to the top hash marks on the dipstick.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can also get Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10-40 at most auto supply stores for about $8.00 a quart. Quite a bit cheaper than the Triumph packaged oil.

The triumph oil is actually packaged as 4 liters. or 1.05 gallons. So you leave a tiny bit in the bottom if you want to be exact on 1.00 with filter change spec.

Personally, I just use the whole thing. The difference is minimal.

Lubrication System: Forced Lubrication (wetsump)
Engine Oil Capacity (dry fill): 1.05 US Gal (4.00 liters)
Engine Oil Capacity (oil/filter change): 1.00 US Gal (3.80 liters)
Engine Oil Capacity (oil change only): 0.95 US Gal (3.60 liters)

·
Registered
41 Posts
4Qts or a gallon is fine since like Yak said. The little bit extra will not hurt the bike.

Keep in mind that below is ONLY an opinion and YOU should choose the oil that you think works.

I JUST did the first fluid fill on my restoration project and ended up using Suzuki 10W-50 full syn. The dealer said it was rebranded Pennzoil(idono what truth is to that).

Anyway, I tend to stray away from Mobile1 since it's a group III oil which is not a true synthetic. It's branded as such but due to legal channels it's allowed to be branded as full syn. and the same goes for many others.

Pennzoilin my opinion is the one oil that has a high grade base stock of group III oil they use in their synthetic refinement. It's a cheaper, better quality oil in my opinion then Mobile1.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Mobile1 but I personally rather support a company that is no over advertised.

So keep an eye out for..
Pennzoil
Amsoil
Redline
and the like of those quality oil company's

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pay about $50 a gallon for Mobil 1 10w-40, so that's a little pricey. As for the above comment insinuating that Mobil 1 is somehow lesser quality, I'd like to see road tests showing this. I've seen tons of independent studies, and there isn't a super clear consensus on a superior oil. You can't go wrong with most of the fully synthetic oils.

As for how much oil the bike should take, it's around 4 Qts I believe. As stated, check the oil level when the bike is upright. It should be near the top hash marks. And yes, over filling is bad - don't let anyone convince you of otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question: When measuring your oil level, do you just put the dipstick in or do you screw it in all the way? It's just something that has been bothering me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil is a tricky subject as we all have our own favourites!! Here in the UK Triumph branded Mobil 1 is the 15/50 variety. However in servicing my TT600 this year I called at 'On Yer Triumph' seeking oil and a filter. Very helpful chap there told me the Triumph oil is notoriously difficult at times to get so they use Shell Advance Ultra 4T 10/40 fully synthetic. My bike runs perfectly as you would expect! Not sure if you can get it in the US.

My apologies it is 15/50 the same as the Triumph Mobil 1

From Shell......

# A 100% synthetic oil, exceeding API SJ with viscosity SAE 15W-50
# It is ideal for four-stroke motorcycles. It provides maximum power and performance, engine protection and smooth gear shifting at all speeds.

If only I didn't post so quickly....

Shell Ultra 4T is available in both 10/40 and 15/50 - mine is running on the 10/40.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TT600 oil is supposed to be 15-50 full synthetic. Pick it up at WlMart (in the US) - approx. $24 for the 5 liter jug.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
TT600 oil is supposed to be 15-50 full synthetic. Pick it up at WlMart (in the US) - approx. $24 for the 5 liter jug.
I disagree. It's not 'supposed' to be just 15W50, as oil viscosity depends on the climate temperature and the wear of the engine. Triumph itself calls for 10W40 synthetic for lower temperatures, as a 15 winter rating is too viscous at lower temp cold starts, especially for people in climates lower than 20F. Oil is not like a machine screw thread which must be a precise fit to work and not damage other threads; one can deviate slightly from the 'recommended' viscosity without hurting anything.

It is not going to hurt the engine whatsoever if one were to run 20W50 as opposed to 15W50 in warmer climates, and is a wise move in temps above 90F, or 10W30 as opposed to 10W40 in cooler climates. It is a science, but the difference of 10 or 5 units between 10W40 and 10W30 and 20W50 and 15W50 (when ran in their proper climate range) is not going to negatively affect the engine. Engines with excessive wear on them, no matter what climate, will be better protected by using 15W/20W50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something else to try!

When I bought my TT600 back in Nov 06, it came with the Triumph Mobile 1, I did some work for Putoline oils so thought I would try some of there trick stuff, 4T Racing. Since then I have used Fuch Silkoline, I find that it is far noisier than the Putoline, So I will be going back to Putoline which is used by many race teams even with other oil sponsers. ( fact ).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts