Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NC and don't know what company to go to. I have All-State on my cars and they're nothing to write home about. I did a search here but didn't find much. I'm hoping this thread can save me some leg work. Let me know your experiences and prices I can expect. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got my first quote from a local insurance company that is supposedly the 'cheapest in town'. They want $2200 annually for full coverage. :mad:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just got the bare minimum needed and its like just over $200 a year in MA. The way I see it, the bike is a toy and it's something I can afford to lose. Worse case scenario it's obliterated and I'm out ~$3000. More likely scenario I part it out for half it's value. I don't see the logic in paying a large percentage of the bike's value every year to insure it's value, especially not over half of what I believe it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
All I can say is shop around. Allstate and State Farm seem to be more interested in displacement than what the bike is. It's been my experience with Allstate, anyway. Some other insurance companies would think a 600 means you are a homicidal squid on a rampage every morning and charge you accordingly. There are also neighborhood issues. As far as some insurance companies, I live in downtown Beirut. Other insurance companies seem to think it's bucolic Mayberry with picket fences. I can't figure it out, since it always looks the same to me. Point being, the guys who think I live in Beirut charge a whole lot more for nothing much. And then there's how old you are, whether you are married, whether you brush your teeth and floss regularly, etc. You'll never know what weirdness you will find until you check with a number of insurance companies. Then go with the best deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the initial scare, I found some companies in the $150-$600 per year range. So far, Nationwide has been the best and I'm going to be able to get pretty solid coverage from them. The first qoute said it was so high because I had my license (car license) for only 8 years :confused:. I'm not sure how that should affect my motorcycle insurance but it was a ton. Anyway, I've had All-State and they generally suck. Geico was better on price but the local Nationwide rep has been the best, though he's trying to get me to buy insurance as if I was driving a Bentley.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
575 Posts
$180 a year, full coverage, through progressive for a Speed Four (which may be looked at differently than the fully faired "race bike" that is the TT).

·
Registered
29 Posts
not that its the same bike but i only pay about 400 a year for a 2004 d6 for full coverage and i was initially quoted less than 200 a year for it. i am also through state farm. multi car discount helped a little and im over 25 (26) been married. so it all goes into consideration anyways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I didn't get Comprehensive, it would have only been around $200. With it, it's closer to 1k. I went with Nationwide. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TT 600 Insurance

I have Progressive

Body Liabilitiy 250/500 $129
Property Damage 100
Uninsured 250/500 $111
Underinsured 250/500 $ 53
Medical Payments 1000mo $30
Comp $125deduct $76
Accessory $3000 included

12 Month 399
paid in full discount -35
Total $364

I'm married, have one little boy, live in what the insurance companies call the sticks though we are only 40 minutes from downtown Minneapolis, it is a college town which may hurt us, and I've hit two deer in my lifetime with my car driving to work in the morning. No speeding tickets on my record, though a couple close calls I got thrown out in court. I'd drop the comp, but I'm worried about some idiot college kid stealing it more than anything. No offense to any of you college aged people out there. I was there, and I was an idiot. Never stole anything though. Unless you want to go all Metallica on me, then maybe. Sorry Metallica.

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts