Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time something goes wrong, I learn a new skill.
2001 TT600, just over 20000km.

Riding home from work by the time I get back in town, the bike runs hot, around 100 degrees. Fan kicks on at 104. Apparently these bikes run a little on the warm side from what I've read?
Anyway, last Friday, (24 degrees and sunny), bike was over 120 and all kinds of flashy lights on the dash. Fan was running. Limped home just fast enough to keep air moving over the engine. Bike didn't feel like it was in a critical meltdown (I can usually feel the heat radiating onto my legs when it's warm).
Shut off at home, fan ran for a bit as usual. Let it sit over the weekend, too many projects to get out :)

Went to start the bike up this morning, and it wouldn't turn over. Tried several times in fact, let it sit in between in case I flooded it... Fuel pump primes, starter runs, sounds like it wants to turn over... But nothing. Temp gauge STILL said 120, even with the cold engine. Unplugged the battery thinking it might help reset something... No dice. But at least the top says "hot" rather than a number.

Drained the coolant (new skill!) and took off the top hose. Checked the thermostat itself with the boiling water trick. Seemed to open fine. Leading me to believe it's an electrical thing rather than a cooling system thing? There's a brown plug on the engine that is near where the top hose enters, I'm guessing that might be the culprit.

Thanks for any advice or troubleshooting tips, where I should go from here.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Daytona 600
538 Posts
It is possible that ypu didn't have enough coolant it it to begin with... as the fan was running the sensor is working..

Refill the coolent purge the air from the system. Hook up tuneecu and change the temperature the the fan comes on.. (mine is at 100)..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant was at max level. No tuneecu yet, need to locate a cable to connect to my laptop.

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
You may have a failed temperature sensor. That happened on the 2001 I had back when.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying the new coolant tonight.

Two more questions re: sensor: a) is there a way to test it? (Resistance on the multimeter showed about 60 ohms)
And b) would a faulty sensor prevent the bike from starting whatsoever?

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
It's a matter of what signal voltage it's putting out, if I remember right. And, of course, I don't know what the signal should be for any given temperature. I hope somebody else can fill in. Even so, the symptoms sound very familiar.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since the eng wouldn't turn over.Did you check the batt voltage?
I added a second fan to bring the temps down to about 207 from 220.My temp would stall at around 215 w/ the single fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts