Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TT600 with an open road legal pipe, K&N and tuneboy.

Up until recently i had been using map 91 (Silver frame open pipe map) but after having an assessed ride the guy following said it was beltching out unburnt fuel, and it did smell rich at times. However the idle was fine (If bloody lumpy) and the warmup idle was fine.

I decided to use map 115 (the last tt600 map) which really made the bike fuel nice. I have upped the idle stepper and the idle fuel richness and when warm the bike idles and run's like a dream.

The problem is with the cold warm up process. It seems to always look for the same idle level no matter what the temp of the engine. This means that it will stall when cold, but then gradually improve as the engine warms up.

I have adjusted the target idle to a fairly high figure but this seems to make no difference and i am loathed to touch the idle stepper or richness as the bike runs superb when warm.

Is there anything on the bike which could be faulty that controls the warmup process, or is there something else to look at?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What temperature is it where you are when you're trying to start it? In my experience, my bike needs some throttle to let it warm up when its below 50F.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
It shouldn't need any throttle at all to idle while warming up.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'm not sure what you adjusted to get the engine to stall on cold start, but have you tweaked with the cold start air/fuel ratios? You might have the start-up mixture too lean or the CO too lean.
You certainly don't want to touch the throttle when firing the engine, as this can throw the throttle position off.

Are the battery leads tight at the terminals?

As for what the person behind you said, they would not have been able to see unburned fuel. If they mean that there was black smoke coming out the exhaust, it could mean two things: the engine is running rich with too much fuel in the chamber, carboning things up and fouling the plug; or the engine is running on the rich side (not enough to foul the plug as the above situation) and has not been ran hard in a while. It can be carboned up and in need of a good run to clean it out. It is better to have a slightly rich mixture than lean, as a lean mixture can lead to major issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the replies. the guy following me was a police rider so he stayed quite close and basically said he was being gassed by the unburnt coming out of the pipe. idled like a lawnmower too. definitely no decoke needed.

the bike runs like a peach now on 115 but will not idle until 50 degree c. will then get progressively smoother til normal temp (80 d c). basically just will not adjust the idle to reflect cold start.

i've not adjusted anything from map 115 except idle stepper and idle richness (from sensor screen not map) and idle speed target from the map.

the wierd thing is that everyone recommends this map for all bikes so this can't be normal.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
What map is 115; they changed map numbering at one point, and my tuneboy maps aren't matching up to any 115. What Model is it from, VIN number range, and type of muffler?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bike is a 2001 silver framed bike. The 2 maps for this bike are 10090 & 10091. I am using a K&N and scorpion open pipe so i should be using 10091.

Triumph released one last map, i thought it was 10115 but could be 10165, which most people recommend is the best for all bikes. I know Will personally recommended this map to me some time ago.

The map itself is great and so much better/smoother then 10091 but where 10091 will warm the bike on idle, 165 won't.

These bikes sure do have 'character'!

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
10115 is the 2002 and later map for TT600s. Beats me what it's called now. It was 10105 for a while, then something changed and it became 10115. Now it's something else. It's essentially the same map. I better just start looking for another TT600 so I can keep up! :p

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Okay, I believe the 10115 is now the 10165. That is the late model map for a standard muffler engine equipped with secondary air injection. It is a popular tune, but at least from what I can find in my folders and from what I remember of TuneBoy's website, they don't have a late model map designated for aftermarket exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
No, they don't. The late model map was pretty much standard issue for all bikes as far as a jumping off point for custom maps. I don't know why the later stock can map works best, but it does in most cases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what makes me think that something is going wrong on my bike.

I have adjusted the cold warmup target idle values right up, when the bike starts it will sometimes flair to the target value, but then just drop like it is overriding the target value in the map. The bike idles nicely when warm mainly due to the changes i made to the idle stepper motor and the idle richness, those idle targets seem to make no difference.

Is there something on the bike which monitors idle that could be knackered?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I wonder if the air temp sensor in the air box is dirty or faulty? That could cause issues before the engine warms up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i guess that could be the case, i'll try and give it a clean up at some point when i can.

The other thing i thought it might be was the Idle Air Control Valve.

A little extra info just gleaned from Tuneboy is that the ICS steps start at about 80-90, with gives the bike a good cold idle, but then drops to about 60, meaning the engine will stall on colder days. Then gradually drop to 46-47 when fully warm giving a nice idle. Could the Air temp sensor cause this?

The other oddity is that tuneboy doesn't report a target idle speed in the dashboard, is this normal?

thanks for the advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts