Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
i just bought my first triumph, i got a great deal on a 2001 TT600 but after getting it home and doing some more ridding on it i've noticed some very odd things. First when starting it jumps to 2,000rpm and sounds strong then starts to bobble semi-spiting and sputtering something it did not do when i test drove it. once it warms up and i take off at low rpms it has terriable dead spots at low rpms with clutch fully released its very jerky. between 3500-5000rpms theres nothing it almost feels like its loading up, or some kind of engine brake its a pootch. then right after 5000rpms it takes off like a rocket ship. when reaving the engine up slowly you can hear it go from rich to lean to rich espically in those dead spots..very strange

i talked to the previous owner about it he said it was just at the local triumph dealer where they put new plugs, air filter, and some kind of boot(guessing an intake boot) on last year and it has been sitting in a barn ever since, he claimed to never notice a dead spot(seemed like an honest guy).

it came with the preformance carbon fiber pipe i thought this could be part of the problem so tonight i changed the pipe which all in all did very little excpt it seemed not as hesitant when first starting and idling, but quickly went back to its old ways.

im almost positive its in the fuel injection system which i know nothing about, new fuel mapping? power comander? what do ya think?

Also its got some damage on the right side fender looking for a new one in yellow and a seat cowl any recomendations as to were i can find eathier of these reasonable?

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's just kind of the way our bikes are as far as the dead spots down low. It's mostly for emissions reasons. You could get map loaded from later years to help it. A power commander will help a little with the fueling but I think it's mostly a timing issue. I swapped an 02 ecu into my 00 and it helped a lot but its not completely gone. As far as it sputtering and what not at start up, about what temperature outside is it when you're doing this? My bike won't really run on its own without some throttle below 50F until it warms up.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
As Gnturbo6 said, the flat spot is normal from the factory; it is needed to pass emissions laws. It's a combination of lean air/fuel ratio and a gap in the ignition timing. A PC will take care of the fuel, but only TuneBoy will get rid of the fuel and ignition gaps. If you are going to run an aftermarket muffler and don't want to spend the money on an engine management modifying system, having the dealership update the map with an aftermarket exhaust map will help, but not as well a TuneBoy or PC.

The bike should idle up on startup to approx 2,100rpm, but if it is idling prematurely while the engine is still cold, it could be that the CO needs adjusting (which requires either a TuneBoy or the dealership diagnostic tool. I'm not sure if PC allows one to adjust the CO). It could also be a dirty/faulty IACV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks dudes!
well its been a little chilly 40's-50's but even last weeks 65 degree weather didnt seam to effect its idling. its really to bad i really enjoy this bike at speed but the jerking and dead spots at low rpms makes it hard to anticipate your next move.

so tuneboy should be able to fix all the flaws of the TT?

I hope so.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the output of the alternator by putting a voltmeter over your battery. You'll find that when it's not up to scratch (over 13.7V) it pops and farts like that too. The tuneboy can get you closer to what you're after but the 01 ECU wasn't their best offering.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
That year TT had a notoriously bad and universally despised ECU. Tune Boy or PowerCommander will help. I have PC on my '03. Runs much better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
01 Tt 600

I have the same issues with my 2001 TT 600. I bought it used with 12K two years ago and just kind of dealt with it because it was my first bike besides my enduro (02 Honda 650). Anyways, I'm finally getting around to more DIY threads including simple tasks like changing my own oil. Yeah, I know, any idiot can do that, but I just was never very mechanically inclined. I'm learning slowly though.

Now the TT has 16K on it. The oil is changed and she started right up after being stored for winter in my garage. I did have a battery maintainer plugged in. I'd like to try and tackle the low speed/low rpm issue and I also have the engine quiting issue occasionally when I hold in the clutch when decelerating. The engine quiting looks like it can be solved by checking the lines going into the airbox and the airbox itself. Or it could be oil clogging the IAC. That's what I've read so far. The low speed smoothness sounds like it can be solved with a different Map. I'm running stock everything so I could have a stealership load maybe the 02 or 03 stock map. That should make it better. The best result however would be if I had a Tuneboy and have someone who knew what they were doing help. I'll go with step one for now until I can pony up some cash for other options. Unless there is somebody in Minneapolis willing to help teach a noobie. I'd love to learn.

It looks like @ 16K the Triumph Manual shows that I should change the Air Filter, Fuel Filter, check/adjust Valve Clearance, balance the throttle bodies, Lubricate the headstock bearing, renew Fork oil, renew seals on brake master cylinder and calipers, renew brake fluid and lines. I think that I can handle most of that except the valve clearance, throttle body, seals, and lines.

So far the only dealership I know of is Motoprimo in Lakeville. It really costs an arm and a leg to get things done there. If anybody has any other suggestions for the Minneapolis area, I'm all ears. I'm actually in River Falls WI so the closer to home the better.

Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another few things

thanks guys!
well i slapped some new tires on the beast and put 650 miles on it this week and put some fuel injection cleaner in it, seems to help a little bit but she still runs a little rough at times. the dead spot seems to be containing itself at about 4500-5000 rpms its really weird. i think im gonna take it in for the fuel mapping if i can ever get a day off work anyone had an experience with the tune boy? if the fuel mapping doesent work out im gonna have to go that way

also i just turned 10,000 miles whats the manual say about tune ups? i didnt get a manual with it and still havent picked one up anyone know where to get reasonable parts online?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The tuneboy isn't really a magic fix solution. It can allow you to do things like adjust the idle stepper motor and idle fuel richness to get a good idle. Also load new maps and adjust maps at will and view error codes etc.

However the only maps avaliable are stock ones unless you take it to a dealer that will tune with the tuneboy on a dyno.

The flatspot you talk about will never completely go away, thats part of the bikes 'character', they can sound like a bag of nails at times too.

I know these bikes can be very sensitive to the air system, such as throttle body balancing, idle CO and the air pipes that connect to the airbox so as you don't know the full history it may be worth getting these done and checking the airbox tubes.

I have a tuneboy on an 01 bike on the latest 02 map (10115) but it doesn't idle when cold (before 50dc), runs like a peach when warm though. As i said, plenty of 'character'!!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have an 01 and yes everything I have read is that they have notoriously bad fuel mapping. I have to say though, I have the TOR can and the TOR map loaded and its dang nice. I don't have all those feared issues.

Its a typical 600 that is not impressive below 6500rpm but man alive this bike wakes right up at 7K and then it wakes up again at 11K.

I get a stupid grin on my face everytime I ride the bike. It's proven to be a super fun little machine.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The tuneboy isn't really a magic fix solution. It can allow you to do things like adjust the idle stepper motor and idle fuel richness to get a good idle. Also load new maps and adjust maps at will and view error codes etc.

However the only maps avaliable are stock ones unless you take it to a dealer that will tune with the tuneboy on a dyno.

The flatspot you talk about will never completely go away, thats part of the bikes 'character', they can sound like a bag of nails at times too.
To clarify, TuneBoy does much more allowing a user to adjust idle rpm and air/fuel ratio for better idle, and load maps. I'm not sure what is wrong with factory idle conditions to begin with?

TuneBoy allows the user to adjust all aspects of the mapping (i.e. fuel trim, idle rpm, cold start air/fuel ratio, and ignition timing to name many, but not all.) The user can build custom maps which will get rid of almost all of the flat spots which are caused by one extended gap in the fuel trim and ignition timing of factory maps, not just because of the fact that high-reving 600cc inline fours aren’t capable of making much power at low rpms. This is not to say that the bike will have amazing performance under 6k, because, as many have stated, this is the nature of a high-reving 600cc inline four. But TuneBoy will get an engine closer to running the best it can compared to factory maps, even without having a map made on a dyno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts