Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Good morning and welcome to our world! You don't say where you are, but I guess the UK with signing off 'Cheers'.........
T140W (TSS) some good ones, some absolutely awful ones. If yours has got 10,000 or more miles on the clock and is still ok, that's a GOOD one.
So, first one built CMO32063 27th October 1981. Last one built BEA34392 6th January 1983.
Total built 483 including, Three T140W AV, one engine only and one frame (AV) only.
From 1980 on, you need the numbers and the letters as before BUT it does not always follow correctly as the previous 2 letter sequence. Some bikes were not built at the time the month and year letters would have you believe? There were some difficult times during the last years of the Cooperative.
Roy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tss

Hi guys thanks for the reply I am a Kiwi living on Oz so I may have confused you a bit. I have bought the bike into Australia from New Zealand and I am in the process of putting it on the road here. The engine and frame numbers are T140W KEA 34110 I am guessing it’s a 1983 but not sure the bike has 12000 km on the clock if it is indeed the original Speedo that is. It’s not uncommon for guys in NZ to disconnect clocks for one reason or the other.

I would like to add mine while showing its age a little and having at least one repaint is all there, I don’t have the original indicators and that’s about it I have the older type that I put onto it not having any when purchased. The bike runs like a dream and I do love starting it up going for the not so legal rides now and again it is smoother then any of the previous Bonnie’s I have owned and really goes quite a bit quicker as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
G'day grunt.

If you've got the original mufflers in good nick, how would you like to trade them for a pair of real nice high performance reverse-cone megaphones with removable baffle / aluminum endcaps?

I can send you the megaphones first, you swap and send the stockers back when you get done. I'm not riding my bike at the moment, so I won't miss them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
G'day grunt.

If you've got the original mufflers in good nick, how would you like to trade them for a pair of real nice high performance reverse-cone megaphones with removable baffle / aluminum endcaps?

I can send you the megaphones first, you swap and send the stockers back when you get done. I'm not riding my bike at the moment, so I won't miss them.
Thanks for the offer but my main aim is to get hold of the original type indicators and put them on and keep it as a straight original every day rider. The mufflers on the bike need chroming but work fine I doubt they are original looking at photos of other TSS’s some have the type on my bike and others have a longer conical type which I suspect are the original type. I know the mirrors aren’t original as I put them on myself some chrome ones off a Harley. All up I probably need to score mufflers, mirrors, and indicators. I also need to hook up the electric start again pretty common in NZ to disconnect due to timing gear teeth breaking in the cold NZ climate. I have the gears on there way over from NZ now but kick starting never hurt anyone did it?
Can you help with my engine/frame numbers at all the don’t seem to match what I can find on the net and its driving me a little nuts. The *KEA* doesn’t seem to match anything Cheers.

Finding any information on the TSS’s is a nightmare can anyone send me any links at all thanks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for that Roy, can you tell from the numbers were in the 483 total produced it was in the run, e.g. was it number 110 of the total produced and what the two numbers (34) mean?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Sorry my friend, too busy to count them. '34' is the start of the serial number, 34110.
All the different models being produced then were following consecutive numbers.There were T140E, TR7RV, T140E/S, T140W, T140AV, TR7AV, TR65, TSX etc. being built and so there were low batch numbers and batches spread about per month as the orders came in and more importantly as the PARTS came in to build them!
Things were tight then and parts suppliers wanted paying, there was only so much credit available.
Roy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'd be a bit careful about hooking up or using the electric start. They nearly always ended up spitting out bearing and sprag parts. Usually the cage that held the sprag teeth would break first, then teeth would fall out. If you were lucky [like me] then the teeth would rest in the bottom of the timing chest, but I've seen one instance of the teeth getting caught in the timing gears [and it was sad].

The TSS could have been a great bike, unfortunately a few small annoying things spoilt it.

I've put over 70,000km on mine and did biggish miles [+800km] in a day heaps of times, it was definitely quicker than the Bonnie, and with the thicker swingarm [and if you fitted a better set of shocks than those useless Marzocchi's, I used Fournales] they handled very well. I had my share of problems, I don't think there was a bracket that didn't shatter from the vibration, the through bolts for the head to cases had to be re engineered, the head valve seats fell out [watch this a common problem] and had to be renewed and modded, I modded the timing side to kick only, the radzelli wheels cracked along the spoke line, the lucas rita was a joke, and the clutch is best replaced with a NH 7 plate with an SRM radial bearing pressure plate, the alternator rotor has to be locked off so the weld doesn't give way between the alloy and the steel centre and then spaced out a bit better so the stator and the rotor magnets line up, and there are probably other things I've forgotten. But you could sit on 70-80 mph for 10-12 hours with a swag, saddlebags and tent etc if you could last that long.
As a side note, I had the chance to take a metric Bonnie around a 25km favourite road and then swap to the America, and then swap back to my TSS, I rode around this road 3 times, the TSS was way quicker than either of the other two, the Bonnie wasn't even close in any dept., and the America was a slug.

But I bet they didn't have the heartache I had sorting my ride out, and the ultimate embarassment of having to load it in the ute when it dropped a valve seat [before I modded it].

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Wise words indeed, Trident. Can I add to that... cylinder liners not retained properly and high gear bearing spinning in gearbox case. As you say, COULD have been a good bike until Brian Jones got his hands on it! I haven't heard about the wheel rims before?
Roy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
As an aside;
The std pipe cross over broke so many times I had custom 1 3/4" pipes made ]with no cross over].
I shattered the head steady bracket that bolts from the frame to the head, so I made my own out of 1/4" plate and bent it up.
I shattered the head steady bracket that is welded to the OIF frame, I made a new one up out of thicker plate with better metal in it, ground the original off and welded the new one on.
I shattered the bracket under the seat that holds the rear gaurd, the one on the 'U' of the frame, I made a better new one up and welded it on.
I broke my coil bracket, so I modded it with a reinforcing plate.
I broke the tank through hole where it bolts to the OIF. I had to have that modded and repaired.
The frame broke behind the rear shock mount, I used steel pipe inserts with a slight kink in them then drilled throught the frame in several places and stitched the pipe inner to the frame outer and also welded up the frame again.
I broke the number plate holder, an easy fix.
I broke the headlight mount, the thread in the headlight, again an easy weld job.
I had to weld up the four corners of the cases and use longer threaded studs, at least I could then torque my head down properly to 20psi.
If it wasn't for the motor, the handling and the extra power I'm not sure I would have bothered. Even now I look back and think I must have been crazy stupid.
But my little 750 could beat 1340 Evo Harleys all ends up, so that was always a big plus when I was riding with them in the '80's. And the motor is one of the prettiest Triumph ever made.
PS never had the high gear or liner problems, guess I was lucky after all...........lol.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tssav

Good morning and welcome to our world! So, first one built CMO32063 27th October 1981. Last one built BEA34392 6th January 1983.
Total built 483 including, Three T140W AV, one engine only and one frame (AV) only.

Roy.
Hi Roy
You've seen this but for the benefit of those not at Gaydon , here's my TSSAV at the Triumph event of the Millenium

It's one of the two police models converted to the civillian spec with factory rearsets- whole plot worked well taking me smoothly and in style to and from the event from London

1 - 16 of 16 Posts