Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice about weather in Texas, NM, Arizona and Nevada in Jan-Feb. Im taking the Bonnie down from Ontario in the pickup to Dallas then taking the bike around and to Vegas to meet up with a friend for a 2 week tour and then back to Dallas and home. Should the weather be decent then? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
could range from 90 degrees to snowstorms...

Taking the long southern route should get you past most of the really heavy snow. Northern NM and AZ are part of the end of the Rocky Mountain chain and as such can get a good bit of accumulation if cold temps came from the north and intersect with a moist storm coming up from the gulf. I've been nearly snowed in twice in Flagstaff between December and January.

Good luck!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Great trip, +1 mybluett. Look at the Weather Channel/NOAH web site etc. Lot of snow in TX, OK etc yesterday. Traveling into AZ,NV,NM and TX have huge elevation variations. I lived in AZ for over 20 years and traveled the S/W extensively. Often the snow forecast was given by elevation, not by a town or area. You can swim in Phoenix while they get snow/ice on I-10 near Deming-Tucson or along I-17/40 into Flagstaff. Not as much as going up into the Sierra Nevada's from Death Valley, but enough that you have to plan and monitor for severe weather.

Good Luck !
BobW

A

·
0 Posts
I live in Tucson and have travelled this route some! I would get south to the I-10 corridor or further and then head west, remember that you do cross the continental divide between Deming, NM and Lordsburg, NM although the altitude isn't but around 5,ooo Ft. This time of the year can be a bit windy and sometimes rainy in the southern Arizona area and for sure cold in the northern AZ ( flagstaff and surrounding area). Snow is very altitude dependent here so the lower the better, Vegas can be quite cold and windy in January. YOu should be able to do this however I would not come here expecting it to be desert warm and sweaty! Warm days, COLD nights. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I just made that same trip in October, which was great.

Even then, the night we pulled into Flagstaff it go down to 27 degrees F, but it was 80+ degrees in Phoenix that night. Like others have said, very elevation dependent.

Depending on weather, you should DEFINATELY check out Jerome, AZ and Sedona, AZ via 89A. Route 66 near Seligman is cool too, we took historic 66 from near the Grand Canyon almost all the way to Vegas (as far as we could anyway).

I'd recommend a Widder electric vest, about $150 US, but it's really nice when it gets cold, and when it warms up you just switch off instead of having to shed layers.

Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Thanks for all the help, guys! Sweatmachine, I have thought about an electric vest, but where do you plug it in on a Bonnie?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
The widder vest comes with all you need, you just hook it directly to the battery.

This connection stays on the battery, and I left the female end sticking out between the carbs, by the left side.

and this is what comes out of the vest, and is long enough to hang down in between your left knee and the gas tank/carb area, to reach the female plug from the battery lead:

I leave the battery cord on there at all times, it can't drain any power and is pretty much out of sight. It all fits nicely on top of the battery/under the seat.

The only tools you need is the allen wrench to remove the seat, and a phillips head screwdriver to loosen the battery terminals. 20 minutes tops.

I got the System 2 Elec Vest, which has a nice high collar that contains a heating element as well:

Click for Widder

Their customer service is good too. Make sure you use their sizing chart. I used it and bought a size 44, even though I normally am a 46. According to their chart I should have been a 44, but the vest was very very tight, as in I couldn't breathe with it on...

I sent it back for a 46 which fit great, so I would get a size larger than the chart would recommend, unless you have a very flat stomach.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I might make a suggestion or 2. One, while you're in Dallas go see Keith over at RPM cycles, just to say hi and check out the shop/store. Second, I don't know much about your experience with Mexican food, but the instant I read your flight path, all I thought of was man think how much mexican food you could try. Talk about the ride to heaven. My first suggestion while in Dallas, any of the Gloria's, more El-Slavadroian but really great if you like grilled meat and fried plantain. Anyway have a great trip, send pictures. Later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.