Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen posts asking if we are soft or not tough any more. This guy was tough......Dick Proenneke retired from his job at the age of 52 he built a cabin in twin lakes Alaska. He built the cabin with just hand tools some of which he made. No electric or power, refrigerator he made in the ground, out house and the cabin he did a great job. He grew his vegetables, hunted and fished. He cut his own wood for heat and cooking. He was one tough guy. He lived in this remote area on his own into his 80's.

I first heard about him on PBS he filmed his 30 years in the wilderness. I was very impressed.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Lee,

I was surveying the universe for answers to the great unknown this very afternoon, and thinking to myself "I wonder how tough I'd be if I had no electric heat and going to the bathroom meant traipsing through the undergrowth to the outhouse for relief." My answer? I'm glad I have a house with all the amenities. So the short answer to all the above is...

No, I'm not tough. And I'll probably be gone and buried well before 80.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee,
No, I'm not tough. And I'll probably be gone and buried well before 80.
I am with you....I don't think at 52 I want to go run off to Alaska's wilderness to crap in an outhouse and build a log cabin from scratch. I was just amazed that someone would and had the skill set to do it. :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Nice to know it can be done, if I want to be a hermit I'll do the same, or just go and live in that guy's hut, probably unused now !

....unless of course there's already a queue for it !

---------------
Ride on ! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts