Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the site and have a problem with my 04 Daytona, the digital display is flickering on and off (like when reset is done) this happens at any time after bike has been started (running and sitting idle). Also the left indicator blinks faster at revs and at times at idle (when compared to right indicator). Could this be the stator??? from what little i could read on it i hought this may be it??

oh and the speedo also seems to lag when showing speed ( a delay when speeding up and slowing down).

Any ideas on what i should try to check this?
Or what the cost may be if I cannot fix this myself?

Unsure of what to do and dont have much choice on triumph repairers in brisband australia. meaning they can charge what they like

·
Registered
440 Posts
How new is your battery? Mine went bad over the winter from being left out in the garage. I got the flickering display issue with my TT600. I didn't notice the indicator speed thing but I barely rode it when it was like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battery is about 2 years old, I was riding the bike everyday up until about 2 months ago now it gets ridden twice a week at best.
Should I try a new battery, or maybe try charging my current an seeing if that fixes it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im guessing by everyone looking at this thread without commenting they agree, or are unsure. If you do have any other advice it would be much appreciated. I will be buying a new battery in a day or two. (yuasa brand unless others know of a better suited battery?)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Do a quick voltage test. Your bike should be reading mid 13s while running. Test the battery after you've charged it but let it sit for a few hours. Should be in the upper 12s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent had a chance to look at it with a voltmeter, but i did charge the battery fully and plugged it in.. It is still playing up, i just tried turning on the indicator and it seemed fine, then turned it off, gave it some gradual revs and the display started to flicker again,the indicator was checked again and it was blinking very fast. so unsure of what to do. should i still check the voltage of current battery before purchasing a new battery?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Chances are it is just the battery but it's probably best to check running voltage in case there is an issue with the stator or r/r.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figure i may aswell buy a new battery as the current is 2 years old and was quite a cheap one (as when my previous died i was not cashed up that day, yet needed one asap) So i will go buy a new battery and throw it in hoping to solve it. I will post results of how it goes, any battery thought to be awesome, with out going crazy high in $$$
thanks for all your help so far too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey
I bet it's the battery for sure! I had the same problem on my 05 D650. The screen would flicker.. some times the spedo would read '0' even though I was driving down the road.
The bike would start fine, battery tested +12v at rest and +11v under load.. but it just wasn't good enough. I tried charging it on the trickle charger a few times but it never really came back.

I ended up replacing the battery. I couldn't find the exact one Triumph recommended, so I ended up using one with similar stats for a Sea-Doo. The day I changed the battery, it was like driving a new bike! cleared up issues I didn't even realize I had!

I stored that battery indoors over the winter, and gave it a once a month trickle charge. Put it back in my bike this spring and it's still super good.

A new battery shouldn't cost you any more then $65-$100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts