Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i have just bought a new rear disc and pads for my bike.
But im having real trouble undoing the nuts that hold the disc on.
They just don't want to move?? Any ideas on how i can get them out?

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe you need a penetrant of some sort to loosen the nut? Bolt-Off, PB, WD-40??

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Spot on Dean, they are locktited in and quite difficult to remove without heating.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App
They advise fitting new bolts, presumably because they come with the locking agent already applied in dry form. Mind you, not a word about a possible difficulty in removing them in the service manual, official or Haynes...I suppose dealers would use an air impact wrench fitted with a high-quality Torx bit though, not much resists the power of one of those.

If you re-use the old bolts clean the threads with a wire brush, apply some non-permanent locking fluid like Blue Loctite and tighten to 22Nm (16 ft-lbs).

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Also worth trying.....use a punch that will just fit inside the recess in the top of the bolt, using a decent sized hammer strike the punch once quite sharply. This will fracture the locking compound and make removal easier; don't whale away on the punch, just one sharp blow.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I used an impact driver to start mine loosening. The manual type that you hit with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
WD40 is great, if you are trying to Displace Water. For loosening bolts, use PB Blaster. If that doesn't do it, a little bit of heat. Don't want to change the temper of the disc.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
PB Blaster is my new friend. And an impact hammer. This past spring I had a heck of a time getting the brake disc set screws off my wife's MINI. The PB Blaster and impact hammer was the trick. A trick discovered only after I had to drill and cut out two of the screws.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello evreyone thanks for you help on this impact hammer did the trick in the end :)
However the sager continues now the pistons in the caliper have seized ive drained the brake fluid but they still wont move any ideas? or is this gonna cost me more money to get a new piston set/rear caliper? Thanks Matt

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Hello evreyone thanks for you help on this impact hammer did the trick in the end :)
However the sager continues now the pistons in the caliper have seized ive drained the brake fluid but they still wont move any ideas? or is this gonna cost me more money to get a new piston set/rear caliper? Thanks Matt

Try the method shown on the photos on post 2 of this great brake pad replacement thread by Prop. In fact read posts 1 to 6:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/103656-standard-brake-pad-replacement.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All done now brake is all good and back on the bike thanks for all your help on this im sure i will have more questions :)
At least i know how to bleed my brakes and set them up right now ha ha thanks again Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts