Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
So I’ve picked up a pair of slash cut (turnout) drag pipes from British Customs to fit on my 2018 Street Twin. Left pipe installed fine - no problems. Gone to fit the left one and it won’t align with the cat or the bracket. Even when I loosen all the bolts on the cat and only loosely thread the bolts for the exhaust, I can’t seem to get them to line up.
Anyone had any similar issues? BC don’t seem to have any suggestions other than “wiggle the cat until it fits”. But we’re talking cm not mm out of line.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Weird! I had a set that lined up perfectly. I swapped them around a few times so had to fit them more than once - they always slipped into the cat and then lined up pretty much bang on the mounting points. Can you show a wider shot showing the pipe connected to the cat so we can see where it lines up with the mounting point?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate! Thanks for the comment. Yeah so I was surprised too as I bought the BC ones because I’d heard such great things about the quality and fit etc.

so I have undone all of the bolts holding the cat in place - but so loose that they are literallytightened by about 2 threads to keep them in place. With the mid pipe inserted (without the gasket filling the gap) it’s a good few mm beyond the frame bracket. Attached a photo here!
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem with the left side. The bracket seemed to be slightly further back than it should've been. I was able to get it installed by lightly inserting the bolt into the bracket without fully inserting the other end into the cat. Then i jammed it in and tightened the bracket. Took some time but i got a good seal. If the alignment would have been slightly worse then i would have had to return it to BC. Have to say i love the exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers @HudsonST - appreciate the comment. Yeah I must have spent upwards of 1.5 yesterday trying to move the CAT around to get it to fit but just couldn't I think the closest I came was to within 3-4mm. I'm hoping BC will send out a new one asap! Can't wait to hear the difference.

Have you kept the CAT then or are you planning to use a de-cat? I've seen they suggest to keep it to avoid back pressure issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think they will take care of you.

I kept the Cat. If i do take it out in a year or 2 i will put some new pipes on there since i don't think it will run well or sound particularly pleasing either.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Yeah, definitely seems to be out of alignment! Hopefully they get you a new set out.

Re keeping the cat: I tried mine with the cat removed and it ran ok but was properly, brutally loud. I like a loud bike - I run a decat and open cone mufflers with no baffles, which sounds fantastic, but I couldnt live with the slash cuts and no cat for a bike that gets regular use. YMMV of course!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts