Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So either this is my lucky day or I might be dealing with a bag of nails.:rolleyes:

I was offered the above for free today, 1992 with 11000 miles and hard luggage. Having never owned a Triumph before, ( I can hear all the groans and moans, saying silly sod), what should I look out for when I go to view this potential dream tomorrow evening?

I've had various bikes since 1979 (I know I'm old, thank you) and currently have a CBR600FV. Have had a couple of Bandit 12's in the past too but know nothing of the potential pitfalls on this model.

Could this be too good to be true or am I about to enter biking nirvana?:eek:

Your advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Free is free, true but are there things I shoul;d be checking for, as I hope to go to europe on it in june

·
Registered
48 Posts
I currently own a 1996 Trophy 900. I absolutely love it! My only glitch I can find on the bike is the fuel line routing from the gas tank. If you tear it apart, make sure the routing is correct. Otherwise, the bike may stall on the side of the interstate after doing about 70-75mph. The earlier model you are looking at is probably a little different than mine, but the reliability and fun factor should be the same. Good Luck on the decision!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheap as chips? Chips aren't so cheap any more

So the free bike was £200 as a non-runner with the added title of ,"runs well as far as I know!":suspicious

Got it home, charged up the new battery, put it in place. Hit the starter button, and ..................................................................
the engine spun over but didn't fire up.

Off to Halfords for the Hyanes manual, and upon my return took the spark plugs out which were wet.
Put them back in and it fired up. Yippee!!!!!!!!

I then changed the coolant and the oil, put some more fuel in it. Had it running for half an hour last night with no problems. Gave it a damned good clean (long over due). Went to take it for an MoT this morning, and left it warming up on the choke. Whilst I was inside, getting changed, it died, and I couldn't get it to start again.:mad:

This afternoon I removed the plugs again, and then put it all back together. Got it to run, but after a couple of minutes it died again, and now it won't run at all. I've got the battery on charge at the moment, but if that doesn't solve it I have no idea where to start.:confused:

One thing I noticed was that the fuel tap might be on the wrong way and as the writing has worn off it I'm not sure which direction it should be pointing to put it on reserve.

If anyone might know what to check next please let me know.

I was reading the manual and it says that you have to buy the airbox as a complete unit. Is this true?:nah:

Seems extreme to me, but what do I know?

Bugger all so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Piccy (of my [ex] 2002, but I think they're all the same):

(Click on image for larger view)

Note you need to push the tap in to move to the "Prime" position.
As for starting on the choke, I would start it (cold) on full choke, then IMMEDIATELY after it fired push it in to around 1/2, and needed the choke feeding in gradually over the next minute or two. I would warm it up while putting on gloves and helmet, always on hand to nudge the choke in.

It might simply be yours is over choked, and flooded (hence the wet plugs).

Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
^ What he said. My Trophy 1200 HATES the choke. If I get close to half choke, it floods. I started it for the first time this season last week and it was 38 degrees out. I put the choke at 1/4 and it fired right up.

Hope this helps, cool that you got a free bike. Even if you have to put some money in it for parts, its still dirt cheap and in the end you will have a great bike for next to nothing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No, you don't need to buy airboxes as a complete unit. To get it out, you'll most likely need to take out the carbs. Then with the airbox on the bench, I'd do the airbox mod described in the Yahoo Groups Trophy Site. It involves cutting the back plate in half. That way, in the future, you can get the airbox out without disturbing the carbs (and get the carbs out much more easily to boot). It's a two minute job. You can buy K&N replacement air filters to fit your old airbox. After a clean up, you're away.

PS On an unknown bike like yours, I would always remove and strip the fuel system as the first step. It's worth adding inline fuel filters to the pipes from the tank, replacing the vacuum hose to the carb and removing the silly 'witches hat' filters where the fuel lines join the carb assembly. Oh and cleaning the petcock filter in the tank. Then, synchronising the carbs should help with your starting woes. I bet they're a mile out, so whilst one cylinder is getting choked starting fuel/air mix, another is running with the butterfly half open.

·
30,533 Posts
Well - not quite the bargain you were led to believe, but 200 quid is still a good deal, and sounds like the bike is not in that bad a condition. Good find I think. If you want to post pics of that airbox mod when you do it, I'll galdly start a sticky for putting links to mods / tech / maintenance items for the trophies to make it all easy to find. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel and Air

Hello there I have had a Trophy 1200 (1992) since it was one year old. I have encountered a number of problems such as this. As I think somebody already mentioned, giving the fuel system a clean through is generally a good idea, though from what you were saying about the plugs being wet, it would seem not to be the problem here.

Failing that the air box is another good one. The first time I experienced air filter trouble it was quite sudden and came out of the blue. It took me a while to properly diagnose.

Another good one that is not often talked about the the vent valve in the fuel filler cap. You can tell if this is the problem by opening the filler cap and seeing if the problem goes away. This can sometimes become stuck if the bike has been stood for a while.

I have loved every minute of my Trophy ownership despite the various electrical problems that I have encountered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
900 air filter mod.

Well - not quite the bargain you were led to believe, but 200 quid is still a good deal, and sounds like the bike is not in that bad a condition. Good find I think. If you want to post pics of that airbox mod when you do it, I'll galdly start a sticky for putting links to mods / tech / maintenance items for the trophies to make it all easy to find. :thumbsup:
Are there any pics of this mod?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts