Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 92 Trophy It was a mess. I have rebuilt it and one of the last things was the brakes.
I striped and cleaned the calipers,I had a sticky piston. I just fitted braided lines front and rear. The brake fluid looked as old as the bike.
The master cylinder was full of gunk. Ive bled the brakes but they "front" still feel soft. The lever pulls in almost an inch before it bites hard.
Is this normal?

Maybe im looking for too much from this system. 6 pots I here you say!
Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flushing

Its got new lines, splitter, also the mastercylinder was cleaned.
Yes I have the lever at No 1.

I might try some kind of bleeding pump next.

And im bidding on 6 pots on ebay as well.

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The 6-pots are an incredibly great & highly recommended upgrade, but the Triumph 4-pots are no joke. With stainless lines, going from fours to sixes should be going from really, really good to great.

I agree with Mot; the old hold-the-lever-to-the-bar-overnight trick is probably the best thing to try here. (I've always used rubber bands for it, but a zip tie may well be easier... Cheers, Mot!) Probably best to have it on the centerstand for this, as there may be places for air to hide when it's on the sidestand.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
167 Posts
One important thing to note is that the 1992 Trophy will have the twin pot front calipers and fixed disc setup as standard and if your looking at upgrading to 6 pot calipers then you`ll have to see about replacing your discs to the later floating type.

This really isn`t a " i`ll see what it`s like with these solid discs " times as it`s your life on the line and they HAVE to be replaced for the caliper upgrade.

Cheers, Matt :cool:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'm still a little foggy on pre-'95 details, as we didn't get those bikes here. The twin-pots are not in the same league as the better brakes, though they should still be adequate with stainless lines.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Air in the lines migrates upwards.Most of the poor lever feel problems I've come across involved an air bubble at the exit of the mastercyl. Take the cyl loose and remove the res. cover. Tip it up so the banjo bolt is pointing downward, Now gently pull back on the lever.You will probably get some bubbles come up from the inlet hole in the bottom of the res. Keep doing this until you just get a little spurt of fluid when you pull the lever.Don't pull too fast or hard you just need to move the piston,Too fast and fluid will spill on painted things and you will utter things you pbobably wouldn't say in front of your mother.Then tip it so the banjo is up and repeat the process do it a few times each way and you should get a nice firm lever.Also worth a check is if the pads are free to move and the friction surface is not worn unevenly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed

I had air in the mastercylinder. I changed the clutch fluid as well same thing, needed to bleed the cylinder.

I also bought a oneway valve "little bleeder" by motrax. £9.99 you just push it over the bleed nipple and pump no need to keep tighting the nipple.

The cable tie on the lever works a treat, Thats a top tip!

Thanks to all who replied.

Mike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make this a sticky please.

Air in the lines migrates upwards.Most of the poor lever feel problems I've come across involved an air bubble at the exit of the mastercyl. Take the cyl loose and remove the res. cover. Tip it up so the banjo bolt is pointing downward, Now gently pull back on the lever.You will probably get some bubbles come up from the inlet hole in the bottom of the res. Keep doing this until you just get a little spurt of fluid when you pull the lever.Don't pull too fast or hard you just need to move the piston,Too fast and fluid will spill on painted things and you will utter things you pbobably wouldn't say in front of your mother.Then tip it so the banjo is up and repeat the process do it a few times each way and you should get a nice firm lever.Also worth a check is if the pads are free to move and the friction surface is not worn unevenly.
Please make this a sticky. You can never have too much good advice.
Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Sorry, Mike, but only T3-specific stuff gets stickied here. That advice is for any bike with hydraulic brakes. Feel free to post over in Mods & Shop & request a sticky there.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts