Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized that I have been posting quite a few threads lately about my project, and just thought I would tie it all up in one place, for easier reference.

I started with a 2000 Trophy 1200 that I picked up in 2005/06 after I returned from Iraq the first time. I got an amazing deal on it, it had just under 2000 miles on it! It was bought by an older dentist in our town, and he parked it soon after, as he said it was too much bike for him. I finished paying off his loan (about 1/3 of what it cost new) and I drove it home.

It didn't see many miles in the next few years, because I ended up going back to Iraq again, and well, ND does not exactly have one of the longest riding seasons around. As it sits right now, it has just over 6000 miles on it, but that is going to change soon, as I am getting it ready to give it main vehicle duty.

One of my main issues with the bike was how heavy it was. It handled great, but I felt it would be even better if it were to shed a few pounds. In 2007 I started stripping it down. I cut down the windscreen, and ditched the fairing, along with the california emissions system. I also lowered it at this time.

Just recently, I de-lowered it (my wife tells me that isn't a word :D) After changing it back, I do admit I like it better at stock height. I added a set of clip ons from a Speed Triple, and really like the riding position, and find it more comfortable than I was before. I am also waiting on the big brown truck to deliver my new headlight, a 7" single headlight, and LED turn signals from Aztec8. I am still needing to relocate and trim down some of the wiring harness, but that is not a huge deal. I have also removed the side bag brackets, and am getting a pipe made up to bypass the oil cooler.

Dang air filter housing.

Here is how it sits right now. The cans are just on there for a test fit. I am still debating on whether or not I will run them. I expected them to be loud, and I wasn't proven wrong.

Well, that is where I am right now. I am still looking for new tires, and when I do change them, I will be regearing. That should be the end of the modifications, at least for now. I guess its still a Trophy, but not many would know by looking at it. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry. I can put the mounting brackets back on in about 2 minutes when I want to take a trip, so the bags will still be used.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What instrument cluster did you use? Could you please post a picture of it?
Its a cluster, thats for sure. :D

I used the factory gauges. I found the silver bezel at the Triumph dealer. I have no idea what it is from, maybe a Bonneville. It was sitting on the parts counter while I was there picking up some other things, and thought hmm... Maybe I can make that work. :D I had to enlarge the holes for the gauges to fit. I had a set of gauge buckets from an older speed triple (I think) but they were too small.

You can see how I hacked things together. The indicator panel tucked in closer with it upside down, so I just swapped the turn signal lights around. ;)
Temporarily, I have a very fancy, high speed enclosure made of duct tape. :D Maybe some time in the future I will find another instrument cluster that will work. Maybe the speed triple cluster works, I am not sure.

As for a speed triple tail, I considered it. I also considered chopping this one down, but I still have my sidebags, and I can reattach the brackets to mount them in a couple minutes. I would like to retain the ability to use those, if needed. Also, I regularly have a pillion so it wouldn't make sense to cover the back seat.

That's some awesome work you've done there. Muchly impressed
Thank you! I have had a blast, and have learned a lot about my bike in the process.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I bet you could find some indicator lights that would fit those empty holes in the bracket, & a fly screen can cover a multitude of sins around the instruments ;) Maybe even a clear (or light smoke) type partially paint sprayed on the back?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bet you could find some indicator lights that would fit those empty holes in the bracket, & a fly screen can cover a multitude of sins around the instruments ;) Maybe even a clear (or light smoke) type partially paint sprayed on the back?
But then how would I see my fuel gauge?!? :D I am sure I could, but this will temporarily work until I find a more permanent solution. ;)

Aztec 8 (maker of the headlight) offers a flyscreen for this, but I have other things to spend the money on right now.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your going to need some sort of "blade" type bikini fairing.
A bike that powerful is useless without one. It will literally try to peal you off it if you open her up. I am not, a big fan of total naked..
Way round the problems ... combine two problems and kill them with one stone..
Include the clock binacle in a some sort of small handlebar fairing arrangement .. so it forms the lower cover for the clocks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You may not be, but however, I AM a big fan of a naked bike. I have considered a small fairing of some kind, will never travel at excessive speeds to really make use of it. I have had this bike up to 130 naked, and while I admit there was massive amounts of wind, I managed to stay on the bike. That was just for testing, at an airstrip. I will never go that fast under normal use, so I will be fine.

I just need to work out a little more, strengthen the arms a little more. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D I don't see what the problem is, I helped out other Trophy owners by selling the parts to them, and I ended up with a bike that I love more than I did before. Everybody wins! :D

A bike should be a reflection of the individual that rides it, I find it hard to leave anything I have alone, whether its my old Bronco, or any of my other vehicles. I just have to make them suit me. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Thanks for keeping it civil, guys. I can certainly understand both sides of this discussion! I generally tend more toward keeping bikes pretty close to stock and buying a bike more suited to what you want rather than cutting up something that isn't. That said, there are numerous reasons that that doesn't always happen, and the bottom line is as nobodyspecial has stated above:

A bike should be a reflection of the individual that rides it
It's his bike, nobody else has to ride it. You can look at it as one less nice Trophy on the road, or you can look at it as a project that probably kept two or three other Trophies that are on the road nice looking.

Personally, I'm done with nakeds, but I think it looks great. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Kit, I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. I loved the bike before, but I liked this look better. I hope I was able to keep a few other Trophys looking good, because they are great looking bikes! However, for my personal tastes, I like this even more. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts