Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm planning on buying a Scrambler but am still 6+ months from being able to, and with the economy I'm concerned Triumph may have to cut production on or even eliminate models like the Scram that may not be their best sellers.

Has anyone heard anything Triumph scaling back?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I haven't heard anything but I wouln't worry too much. Even if Triumph were to eliminate some models they're not going to eliminate all of the twins. And I don't know what their production numbers are but I would guess they'll have a decent supply of bikes for the near future. Even if they discontinue some models there will still be a lot of them on the used market.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Pokeyjoe is right. Even if the economy worsens before it gets better, Triumph would simply make less use of its offshore factories. They might slow their work on new models, but it's very unlikely they would eliminate any existing models prematurely.

Also unlike the automakers, they don't go massively into debt to increase production when demand is high, so reduced cash flow hurts them less when times get tough again. Their slow growth policy is sometimes rough on would-be customers for very popular models, but it keeps the company healthier than trying to meet every market whim.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Interesting point. I just noticed in The Times today that Honda - presumably UK plants - will suspend production for two months. That is the longest I have heard from the various 'suspension' strategies of car manufacturers. Frankly I could not care less - the less cars the better. More walking, cycling and train travel would transform our planet.

But to answer the question - I went on the Triumph site today. The Special offers section had nothing in it. I think they have a Mini policy - keep supply controlled and maintain pricing and avoid discounting at all costs. In reality, second hand stock is plenty but values tend to remain good. That said, deals are to be had on new with added value parts, servicing etc.

In absolute terms Triumph is not a volume manufacturer - and they are probably more flexible with production - they can turn it on and off like a tap. So I would not worry - buy your bike with confidence. Hondas et al will suffer before Triumph.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Here is the only article i could find - does not seem like triumph was getting ready to cut back in 2008. Remember Triumph is wholly owned company. its not a stock like HOG or GM. That means its not as affected by the stock market. Considering what is happening in real estate, I guess Triumph might be the bright spot in Bloors portfolio.

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/richlist2008/richprofiles2008/2008/01/14/8-8-john-bloor-650m-530m-65233-20349841/

Jan 14 2008

8 (8) John Bloor £650m (£530m)

It’s been another high-speed year for John Bloor’s revitalised Triumph Motorcycles. Not only has Triumph raked in a fistful of magazine awards, the company is doing great business in the States and has achieved official Coolbrand status. The latest estimation of Triumph’s value has meant a big boost for John Bloor’s wealth

I noted this in the same article-

Bloor homes has developed a reputation for individuality and high architectural values. The company’s approach is to develop the environment - not just build houses - with attention to wildlife conservation and the preservation of natural features.

Good deal!! Way to go, Mr. Bloor...well done.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys - thanks for your helpful input. That's good to know about Triumph as a company and reassures me a lot.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bloor is a tightwad, and he's good at it (seriously my Speed Four had an MSRP of $6,500 and the rest of the line has always been at Japanese competitive prices - unlike other euro brands) I see no worries for Triumph at all.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Aren't a fair number of Triumph bikes and parts manufactured in Thailand? That country's political structure is very shaky; and Triumph's factory there has been having labor problems as well....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Judging by the crowds at my local dealer and the fact they are selling out of several models, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Block

1 - 13 of 13 Posts