Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was some sort of "upgrade" made of late? It was a little slow but workable before the end of December and now it's painful and glitchy..........much of the time the "Main Menu" to the left of the page displays as a full screen width and I can't move to the right to find messages. I've run my virus and cleaner software to check and the fact is, other sites using the similar vbulletin webpage work as they always did.

I've got 2 browsers Netscape 6.2.3 and IE 6.0......was there any good reason at all to change something that worked? (I wouldn't do that to my bike......)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Haven't noticed any problems here....but I run Firefox and Safari. I personally try not to run Microsoft products when possible, tho I am using a WinXP machine at this station (Linux and Mac boxes at the other two stations) due to a piece of required software needing a MS platform.

Personally, I'd swap over to Firefox....works FB to block ads, etc.

Oh...it is free as well.

Derswede

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Triumphrat.net website performance issues

Was some sort of "upgrade" made of late? It was a little slow but workable before the end of December and now it's painful and glitchy..........much of the time the "Main Menu" to the left of the page displays as a full screen width and I can't move to the right to find messages. I've run my virus and cleaner software to check and the fact is, other sites using the similar vbulletin webpage work as they always did.
UPDATE: I regularly visit a fair number of forum oriented websites and have so for a number of years - enough to have recognized the similarity between many and noting that many use vBulletin website software. Because of the slow and glitchy performance with the Triumphrat.net site (some browsers work fine, some glitch....all I've used were slow on it), I decided to research vBulletin a little and look at other sites to see whether there was any common denominator (that I could fix on my end.......a problem with my computer etc). What I did find was that most sites seem to use other, versions of vBulletin such as 3.7.x or 3.8.x, load fast and don't seem to display any glitches whereas sites using 3.6.10 (like Triumphrat.net) seem to load much slower......though I haven't found one of those that had display glitches (panels displaying far too wide/cutting off the remainder etc). Browsing for issues with 3.6.10 I see a host of 'em.......and notes that this version is at end-of-life (don't get me wrong.....I'm all for keeping something going that works).

Just an observation :)

BTW.....sure DO enjoy the content of the Triumphrat.net site!

·
Registered
896 Posts
thoughts

back in the day.. there was a fair bit of custom coding done to get TRatNet doing what it needed to..as such I would imagine moving to a new code revision would be challenging.

Also... did you compare the number of ads in the other sites to this site... often times, ad servers can be slow to respond making the page loads slower as they wait for the ad content to load before showing the page....

I've not been on a lot since last spring, so I can't comment of it being slow.. seems ok to me..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts