Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone to customer services at Hinkley and I,m fuming. After getting a quote of £325 for a new sprag clutch (part only) I thought I would chance my arm and see if triumph would like to help out with the cost. After all, my bike may be an 05 model and out of warranty but its only done 6000 miles and I would expect any motorcycle part to last longer.
I was met with an arrogant arsehole who denied there was a problem on any triumph and that it is not a mileage related issue. Any problems he claimed would have been the fault of the owner for not starting the bike with a fully charged battery. And horror of horrors, having the audacity to use the starter too much.
I explained that the net was full of stories of triples with these problems and he just denied it. Saying that It was down to me.
Well I dont know about you guys but even if I used it once for every mile I have driven I would still expect the thing to work.
I told him that this was the head in the sand attitude that sank the british car manufacturing industry to which he immediately ended our conversation.
I hope he gets piles the tosser.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Well, he was right about excess cranking with a low battery killing the sprag clutch and that it is not related to mileage.

I have to also agree with you that the sprag should be built to handle a bit more abuse than the current design.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Triumph were having trouble with sprags since the T3's first appeared.
One would think that after nearly 20 years since the resurrection of the factory, they might have sorted the problem. You don't see other makes shagging sprags because you might try to start them with a low battery!

It would have been great PR if that guy in Hinckley could have cut you some slack on the parts, this would then be a positive story instead of negative, read by potentially tens of thousands of people around the world.

I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
984 Posts
It took me nearly a year and a half of nagging but I finally convinced Triumph that something was wrong with my S305 sprag clutch. It was replaced under warranty. It had nothing to do with battery or mileage. Was informed by dealer that the original component had been under-engineered.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have 3 Hinckleys in the garage (and have owned 7). Never had a problem with the sprag clutch on any,and one of my bikes is a 95 Tbird I've had since 1996. Now covered 36,000 miles and the sprag clutch is ok even though these early bikes were the ones with a potential problem. I agree that the important thing is to ensure the battery has a good charge so I have always had my bikes plugged into an Optimate. It's unfortunate when a problem occurs but Triumph have just won best manufacturer award voted by Motorrad in Germany scoring 78% satisfaction with votes from 12 countries and thousands of owners. Second was Honda with 72% so generally they are keeping people happy. Good luck with getting the bike fixed. The Speed Triple is a great bike.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I agree, the Speed triple is a pearl of a bike, I just think that sprag clutches should not be failing on a 2005 bike, best manufacturer award or not. With the earlier bikes I think it is more to do with good luck rather than good management if you never have a problem.

triple3john, I reckon you are blessed with bucket loads of good luck!

I have a 98 with a $200 battery that I always keep on a battery tender. I am nervous every time I go for a start, particularly from cold.

It shouldn't be that way...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
18 Posts
ho may god

I agree, the Speed triple is a pearl of a bike, I just think that sprag clutches should not be failing on a 2005 bike, best manufacturer award or not. With the earlier bikes I think it is more to do with good luck rather than good management if you never have a problem.

triple3john, I reckon you are blessed with bucket loads of good luck!

I have a 98 with a $200 battery that I always keep on a battery tender. I am nervous every time I go for a start, particularly from cold.

It shouldn't be that way...

Cheers,

Roden
I should have guess they would be problems with buying british. just got the new se 1050 with 39 miles on the clock hope to get more than 6000miles before any probs

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got off the phone to customer services at Hinkley and I,m fuming. After getting a quote of £325 for a new sprag clutch (part only) I thought I would chance my arm and see if triumph would like to help out with the cost. After all, my bike may be an 05 model and out of warranty but its only done 6000 miles and I would expect any motorcycle part to last longer.
I was met with an arrogant arsehole who denied there was a problem on any triumph and that it is not a mileage related issue. Any problems he claimed would have been the fault of the owner for not starting the bike with a fully charged battery. And horror of horrors, having the audacity to use the starter too much.
I explained that the net was full of stories of triples with these problems and he just denied it. Saying that It was down to me.
Well I dont know about you guys but even if I used it once for every mile I have driven I would still expect the thing to work.
I told him that this was the head in the sand attitude that sank the british car manufacturing industry to which he immediately ended our conversation.
I hope he gets piles the tosser.
Hinkley and Triumph America deny any problems. This company has the WORST customer service and acceptance of responsible for a shady product I have ever seen. Many of the bikes appear to have ring and liner problems burn oil and they won't admit to it. There are many documented cases and one would think they would make it right. I am done selling my 2007, 2005, and 2003, Triumphs as a package deal to the first sucker to take them only the 2005 doesn't use a ton of oil.
I thought BMW was bad with admission of issues. Good grief, Triumph trumps all...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did you go through a dealer or direct to the factory?
I've had no problems with warranty claims through my dealer. I bought my 07 last year and noticed some slight pitting on the discs. Went to daealer who took photos.
2 weeks later I had brand new discs and pads. Then noticed a couple of months later that one of the casing was starting to corrode behind the paint. Again had it replaced with no quibbles.
A couple of months ago I was cleaning the hub and noticed some play in the shock linkages. Took it in and they replaced the bearings which didn't cure the fault. Triumph authorised them to replace any parts necessary to cure the fault. The dealer replaced all rear suspension components bar the swingarm and shock. Turns out it was the bolt slightly out of tolerance. They even did the diagnostic checks required for the 12000 mile service free of charge while it was on the ramp. No complaints here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dealerships are responsible for making claims to the manufacturer--not you. When I worked for a parts manufacturer, we always asked the end user to contact the point of sale first. Then the point of sale would contact us if the issue couldn't be resolved within their capability.

So make your dealership work for you. We give them a good profit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i agree with village

hello everyone new member
Cannot believe how many owners are having this sprag problem ,iam the owner of a 2005 triple with just 7000 miles on the clock i have covered around 900 miles ,the bike has full history and is in mint condition credit to the previous owner who worked for rolls royce on jet engines and kept the bike in pristine condition .I have had to spend £394.37 to have a new sprag kit fitted £284.05 of that was for the kit.the thing is the new sprag is beefed up and different to the original ,so if there is no problem with the why has the new part
been modified.I think triumph should come clean about this problem and share some of the cost ,plus the dealers labour charges £75 an hour .Its a shame i love the bike ,iv'e had honda's ,yams,with no problems at all, tyres services thats it .I ride ktm's off road that get loads of abuse the parts are dirt cheap.Its a shame iv'e bought british you don't expect these faults on such a new lo mileage bike.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi I have 3 Hinkley Triumphs a 92' Trophy 92' Trident and an 02' Speed Triple.
The Trident has 15,000 on the clock and the Sprag clutch is gone needs a new one £150 from Sprint Manufacturing (+VAT)
The Trophy had one replaced under warranty when it was newer but has done in excess of 130,000 miles since no worries.
Speed Triple no worries.
The story I've heard is that the original Sprags were not up to spec and replaced under warranty within a certain time limit.

Bad luck if it's gone but it's not the end of the world to get it fixed. There' generally very reliable bikes, so would buy little else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts