Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
TT in reference to motorcycles usually refers to Tourist Trophy .

cheers , Woody

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Tourist Trophy relates to the Isle of Man TT races, which were held on roads, but the TT bike is a dirt track racer, a totally different machine to the ones raced on the IOM, purposeful for the US market only, so I am still wondering.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Taken from Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide Bonneville & TR6 1956-1983 (Gaylin 1997). On page 127 it states

"The Bonneville TT Special was originally created for western U.S. off-road and steeplechase-style TT racing, hence its name."

I dont know if it's fact or fiction but it sure sounds like a good answer.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
steeplechase-style TT racing

Taken from Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide Bonneville & TR6 1956-1983 (Gaylin 1997). On page 127 it states

"The Bonneville TT Special was originally created for western U.S. off-road and steeplechase-style TT racing, hence its name."

I dont know if it's fact or fiction but it sure sounds like a good answer.
In 1968 and 1969 I used to go with other high school buddies to watch a boy from our neighborhood race what was called 'TT' at Brown Field near San Diego.

The course was a 1/2 mile oval, but the back straightaway made a hard left turn into the infield, hard right over a jump, hard on the brakes, another hard right-hard left, back on to the back straightaway then around the sweeping turn on to the front straightaway past the start/finish.

Some of the 100cc and 250cc two stroke riders would keep the throttle wide open over the jump making an embarrassing (we thought) unnecessary whiny sound.

The big British twins, 15 going off at once, would make a thunderous, exciting, feel-it-through-your-body roar that has brought me to here, forty years later.

From this forum, I was directed to other vintage racing sites and the pictures of those machines that I loved so much as a kid flooded me with memories.

So much so, that after buying the 67 TR6C basket-case that I a few weeks ago thought was going to be a bobber my mind began reeling with the certainty that I could make the street-legal TT racer I coveted as a youth!

I'm not the chopper-crowd type. I'm a flat-tracker-wish-I-was guy.

What I've recently learned is called steeplechase we used to simply call 'TT'

Yes, my street-tracker will have tt pipes - Ceriani's and the all the closeness I can achieve the to thundering Triumphs that roared sideways around Brown Field in the 60's

(there's a bolt-on hard-tail kit sitting unpacked on my living room floor - I've changed my mind, the bobber will be for someone else, my TR6CDU63103 will be a street-tracker - make offer on said kit? I'm going sideways : -)

·
Registered
162 Posts
in los angeles

we had "Ascot " for TT racing. the pit area was THE place to meet and greet.

the sounds, smells and colors are deeply engraved into my braincase

i remember the first time i got sideways! what a hoot that was!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The big British twins, 15 going off at once, would make a thunderous, exciting, feel-it-through-your-body roar that has brought me to here, forty years later : -)
looseparts, was it only british twins in TT events or were they racing against the locals?

cheers

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts