Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was browsing around tonight for ideas to re-fair my baby and came across a picture of a triumph TT, just curious as to what these bikes were.

Curious as to the headlights of a Daytona and there compatibility with a sprints headlights. Thinking of going with a daytona front fairing set up if I can re-use my headlights and the such, not sure if this is the correct spot to be asking but what the hey. Sprint fairings are few and far between and a bit pricey, but it seems that there are daytona fairings a plenty on ebay for the right price, with christmas on the way I can replace the fairings through santa, or get the needed parts to streetfighter it.

I am 70-40 on refairing though cause I just love the stock look of both bikes.

Judas did you list yours on flebay yet? if not what are you looking to get for them, I may be very interested in them. Or if anyone has fairings they would like to get rid of let me know.
thanks
tom

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Refair it tom IMO. I don't really get off on the streetfightered ST's. They always look like someone could be bothered spending the $ and it just doesn't look quite right. My opinion only. :)

Another alternative is to go RS fairings but some don't get off on the half fairing either.

The Daytona fairing would be difficult to fit. Different frame mounts, different headlights. I did look at the start too when I dropped my RS. Could and has been done but would be allot of work.

The TT was Triumphs answer to the 600 range of Jap bikes. Very nice but a frenetic bike to ride.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Red,
There is another fellow who did the Daytona fairing thing but I am sorry, I cant remember who it was. It is silver, I remember that.

The TT bikes just google them or take a look at the forum for them. I beleive some of them were 4 cyclinder 600cc bikes but I am not sure.

They had a neat look to them I will give you that.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cal, this kinda was a post to attract the fellow who faired his bike with the daytona stuff, I too cannot recall who it was.

I'm getting more like 95-10 on refairing. I see the bike when I pull into my covered parking spot everyday and its just short of a streetfighter. For some reason I just cant see myself riding it looking like that. I love the 2 bikes on here that are fightered but whenever I look at my phones background I see my baby in its full glory and long for those days.

Tomorrow I'm telling my dad what I want for X-mas is new fairings and to have him keep an eye out for them. Really I only need the right upper, both side mids and I should be able to do some body work on the lowers to get them looking sharp. oh and a windsheild. good thing winters are long in MI

Where else besides ebay might one find used fairings? google just pulls reviews of the bike, and I already know its awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Red,
There is a great wrecker over in the UK who will ship anywhere so dont let shipping scare you off.

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/

Gives these guys a call. It will be much easier for them to sorce something for you. Otherwise its going to be a long task of looking for ebay parts on bikes that are exotically rare in North America.

Good luck

edit: Just checkered their site and they have wracks of different fairings. I think you could make it work.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cal,
I shot them an email (international calls are very expensive) and hopefully they can get back to me soon.
Tom

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Red,
I have never heard anyone say anything bad about those guys so hopefully they help the Yanks like the do the Brits. They seem to have a ton of stuff. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Red's Christmas List

Hey Red, are you thinking of using the standard Triumph screen for your bike? IF an 03 SprintST screen will fit your bike, and you want to go with the original let me know and I can ship you mine. It was removed as soon as I bought my Sprint in July of 04. Still have it wrapped in a box. Let me know if you want it.

oldsprint03
03 955 Caspian Blue.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cal - I got a reply email today from triumphant, they said they do not have anybody work and that they tend to hard to find parts for them too. However she mentioned that she may be getting a 2002 in in a few weeks tha may be what I'm looking for. We'll see on that.

Dolson - thanks for the site, cant figure out how to find if they have anyfairings, kinda confusing so I'm about to email them to see waht they have. Thanks.

Oldsprint - thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. PM me with how much you want for it. I most likely will go with a double bubble blacked out screen though. Like the black on red look if I keep stock color but love black on black that much more and thats the color I want to paint it.

My next question would be what year did they put a cut out into the fairing? on flebay there is a blue lower fairing with a cut out in it that mine does not have. I saw a silver ST on a trailer about 2 months ago with the same cutout and it looked more racy. So need to know to ensure I get matching parts.
Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
RM,
That cut out, is it on both sides? The 1050 has different cuts on it left to right maybe your years are like that too?

·
Registered
402 Posts
The TT600 was Triumph's answer to the Japanese 600 supersport bikes. It grew into the Daytona 600 and then Daytona 650. All are 4-cyl models. There are a few parts on these bikes common with the big triples.
By the look of them they all have quite low clip-on handlebars, not uncommon on sport bikes of course. I imagine the fairings would clash with your Sprint's rather higher bars. You might have to fit lower bars or limit the steering lock to avoid chopping your fingers off in parking lot turns! Lower bars may also foul the gas tank at full lock, so again you might have to modify the lock stops to prevent that. It sounds like a lot of work to end up with a compromised bike that's a pig to park.

As to the differences between the fairing lowers you could check the gallery here. They changed from the sand-cast to die-cast engine in 2001 and it could be that something on the newer engine stuck out enough to foul the old fairing lowers. A look at photos of those few years would tell you. I would bet that the newer lowers would fit on the earlier bike, but maybe not the other way around. For example, the newer motor has it's alternator on the end of the crank, making it wider. The older one has the alternator up behind the cylinders.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cal the cut out looks like it allows maybe the alternator that kludge is refering to clear the fairings and its only on the left side. I dont really need the lowers, and the left somehow took the least damage of all fairings. So I think that if I can locate a mid fairing without the cutout I should be good to go.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Cal the cut out looks like it allows maybe the alternator that kludge is refering to .
You are right red. '02 model generation 2 motor. It has an all black motor as opposed to the silver / black motor and has the Triumph name on the head casing.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, thanks oldsprint. I'll let you know what I decide here in a few weeks.
Thanks
Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts