Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres One to get your head round guys , My 1996 Triumph will start occasionally with the starter switch ,then for no reason will not ,i dont even here a click from the solinoid ? last night took it out for a run stopped 4 times bike fired up no problem took it home switched it off and no joy , pulled the clutch in and bike fired ,Now should have said i have never had to pull the clutch in before starting the bike whilst the bike is in neutral ,tried without pulling the clutch in no joy ,Now bike is in the garage not even offering to start ,jump the bike and the bike runs great ,

Have checked battery voltage = 13.5 volts ?

solinoid voltage =0.2 v when starter pressed 0.5 volts

Help

I am confused

Thanks beaper

·
Registered
74 Posts
Heres One to get your head round guys , My 1996 Triumph will start occasionaly with the starter switch ,then for no reason will not ,i dont even here a click from the solinoid ? last night took it out for a run stopped 4 times bike fired up no problem took it home switched it off and no joy , pulled the clutch in and bike fired ,Now should have said i have never had to pull the clutch in before starting the bike whilst the bike is in neutrol ,tried without pulling the clutch in no joy ,Now bike is in the garage not even offering to start ,jump the bike and the bike runs great ,

Have checked battery voltage = 13.5 vots ?

solinoid voltage =0.2 v when starter pressed 0.5 volts

Help

I am confused

Thanks beaper
Sounds a bit like one of the safety switches (neutral, sidestand, clutch, cut-out. I suggest you check them all before delving any deeper. Could also be a loose battery connection, but doesn't really sound like that to me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a problem with a failed kill-switch with exactly the intermittent problems you describe. Try rocking it backwards and forwards a couple of times giving it a little bit of grief and see if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Triumph trophy starting problems Many thanks

Thanks for the help guys, Took a closer look at the clutch switch and would you believe it was sticking ,little bit of oil on the pin and job done , now for a run round deeside aberdeen scotland

Thanks Again

:) Beaper

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, Took a closer look at the clutch switch and would you believe it was sticking ,little bit of oil on the pin and job done , now for a run round deeside aberdeen scotland

Thanks Again

:) Beaper
Good result.

Wot, no snow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts