Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Trophy 900 with 15k on the clock. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to ask the dealer to check and perhaps upgrade (i.e. cables or suchlike) as the engine running is unpredictable in a rough/lumpy way in that:

(1) it is sometimes jerkily hesitant when I try to accelerate, especially within the first few miles or starting (but at other times as well)sometimes it is almost impossible to find a choke setting that it won't stall at when starting up from cold

(2) I am getting about 110-120 before the fuel hits the red

The bike is great, but these engine running issues are really so frustrating

Gary (London)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi Gary,
It sounds like your engine is getting an excessive amount of fuel. Is the smoke from your exhaust black or leaving a lot of soot on your muffler tips? When you add "choke" to a 'rich' engine it makes it more "rich" and would explain the stalling. Have you tried running it in "PRI"? Pull the vacuum line off the carb that supplies the petcock. Is it wet inside? If so the diaphram has failed in the petcock and it is sucking raw fuel into the carb. What do your sparkplugs look like? Are they all the same color? While you have the tank off check the petcock. No fuel should flow in the "on" or "res" position, unless there is vacuum present.
It does not sound like a electical/coil problem, to me.
Mark

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check the forum for treads about coils. It sounds like your bike have one bad coil.
It runs rough, coughing and have low mpg.
If you check the temp on all three exhaust pipes on the cylinder, you might find that one of them is cooler than the others. If you cant measure the temp, do it when the bike is cold, and spray water on the pipes. as it warms up, the water should evaporate at the same time. This gives you an opinion about witch cylinder that has a problem.
Then you could check the spark plug on that cylinder, to see the colour of the electrode, if its dry or wet, to see if the problem is fuel. Then its the spark.
try the spark on the plug with the coil on one of the other cylinders. You can also change place on two coils, just t see if the problem changes place to one cylinder that was OK in the last test.
All of this you can do yourself, even with small mechanical skills, and save some money. If the problem moves cylinder as you change the coil, take the coil to your dealer, or someone else to measure it. If you have to change coils, there are many options, original or after-marked.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Checking the exhaust temp is a very helpful tool in troubleshooting whick cylinder is "bad". There are some inexpensive Laser thermometer's that would aid you in this task.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts