Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps,
I have posted a few questions about a 1938 5s that I am struggling to find info for regards the gear box.
I have now been informed by a gentleman fron NZ that it shares the same box as a 3s or tigers from around that time. Does anyone on here have any indepth knowledge regard seal/bush arangements and even poss shaft diameters? Thanks very much

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I have now been informed by a gentleman fron NZ that it shares the same box as a 3s or tigers from around that time. Thanks very much
Following your previous posts, I have spoken to some colleagues from VMCC who have 30's Triumphs and they say that the gearbox internals of the 5S are the same as the Tiger 70/80/90 series and the Speed Twins of the period. Not only that but the gearbox internals have many parts that were still used in the gearboxes of Triumph twins right up to the end of the 60's.
Also seals and bearings throughout the bike are std industrial parts of the period and still available.
Unfortunately they also say that the gearbox internal, bearings and seals are the only parts still available. For anything else you have to search autojumbles etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following your previous posts, I have spoken to some colleagues from VMCC who have 30's Triumphs and they say that the gearbox internals of the 5S are the same as the Tiger 70/80/90 series and the Speed Twins of the period. Not only that but the gearbox internals have many parts that were still used in the gearboxes of Triumph twins right up to the end of the 60's.
Also seals and bearings throughout the bike are std industrial parts of the period and still available.
Unfortunately they also say that the gearbox internal, bearings and seals are the only parts still available. For anything else you have to search autojumbles etc.
Would they know if you can get the main shaft metal sprayed and reground?Who would be recommended ? Also would they also know if the bronze bushes x2 in the final drive gear are just plain bushes as I am trying to work out what would stop the oil just leaking out?
I dont mind you passing my email to some if you think it might help?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Would they know if you can get the main shaft metal sprayed and reground?
Also would they also know if the bronze bushes x2 in the final drive gear are just plain bushes?
Main shaft should be still available as this was, I believe, one of the parts that remained constant until 1970. Try www.trisupply.co.uk , www.reg-allen-london.co.uk or www.tms-motorcycles.co.uk.

The above suppliers should also be able to help as to seals or not.

Please get the 1938 Manual and parts book from www.tri-corengland.com or as GPZ suggests "Kim the CD man"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts