Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had my rear shock off today, so thought I'd do a quick "how to" to help others. It was a pain in the @ss, getting the lower mount spacer out (which is probably why you're reading this, lol !!), so that's what I've concentrated on. Here we go !! :

Support the bike on the centre stand, and remove the rear wheel for better access.

Remove the lower bush bolt:

Now this is the tricky bit !!

The lower bush spacer wouldn't budge on my bike, as it's never been off in 8 years. From what I've read, they're a pain in the @ss to get off anyway. They are just such a tight fit. Sooooo.............you can either make a drift and smack it out with a FBH (feckin' big hammer), or you can use some restraint and make a puller.

Now, I love FBH's, but I decided to make a puller. This is what I came up with. I got an old socket (about 8-9mm) and drilled it out wide enough for the bolt to go through (left side illustration) This is what will be pressing against the spacer. I got another old socket (right side illustration), a fair bit bigger this time so that the spacer could pull into it, and I drilled that out to so the bolt would go through. The nut on the right side end is the puller:

I put the puller through the spacer and turned. I had to put some force into the turn, and I didn't think the spacer was moving :

Then there was an almighty clunk, and I hit myself in the face with my hand as the spanner slipped !!

I thought I'd broken something so took the puller off. The clunk was the spacer moving. It didn't want to move !! :

I put the puller back on, and tightened away. Every time there was a clunk, I knew the spacer had moved a bit. And no, I didn't hit myself in the face any more (you learn your lessons in life, lol) :

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd got to the point where the spacer couldn't move any further in the socket, so I just added a ring spanner to get more space:

Eventually, I got to this point and the pulling became easier:

As the spacer was moving a bit more freely, I seized my chance to use a FBH and a drift from the other side to finish off the job !!
:

Make sure you put a large cloth, or something like, that under the bike, as the bottom bush has needle rollers in it. If the grease on them doesn't hold them in, they might fall out onto the floor when you remove the shock. The cloth makes sure you catch them all before they run away and hide !!

And out it popped. I was so happy...........even my thumb was pleased !
:

That was the tricky bit over, and no damage done (apart from to my face !). Then it's just a case of taking the seat and side panels and battery box off, taking the two bolts off for the remote adjuster, and removing the top bush bolt. The top bush bolt is really easy, as there's no spacer, so no need to go into detail here. The shock just pulls up through where the battery box was:

Here's the shock off the bike with the bolts and spacer shown:

I gave everything a good clean, I regreased the needle pins and bottom bush, I used some emery cloth on the spacer, greased it and it went in much easier.

Replacement is just a reversal of the removal. Good luck if you're trying it. It took me about 4 hours to do, as I was making it up as I went along. I could do it in a jiffy now :)

Cheers,
Graeme.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I did mine we resorted to using a blow torch to heat things up and then drifted it out. Once it was warmed up it came out quite easily.

The hard bit was trying to then fit the replacement Wilbers shock as with the remote reservoir and remote preload it took a bit of manipulating.

When we put it back we polished the spacer and greased it so when the swingarm came off for powder coating it came out with no heat needed.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just what I was looking for, cheers. Spot on! I'm gonna make me one of they pullers first thing in the morning!

How was getting it back in?
Hi,

Putting it back in was easy enough, as you can lube everything up beforehand. A few light taps with a hammer, and spacer will go back in, just make sure everything's lined up.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :thumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, it came out, but it took a hell of a long time, and broke quite a few of the needle bearings as it did, that thing was seriously seized in! Luckily I was replacing it! It was a combination of (3) puller(s) and an FBH in the end, the pullers sheered one by one, so the gas spanner did it eventually!

Yup, it was easy enough to get back in after a polish and lube. Haven't actually had time to ride it since, and the front shocks need doing next day off... Hope they're quicker! (They won't be!)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it came out, but it took a hell of a long time, and broke quite a few of the needle bearings as it did, that thing was seriously seized in! Luckily I was replacing it! It was a combination of (3) puller(s) and an FBH in the end, the pullers sheered one by one, so the gas spanner did it eventually!

Yup, it was easy enough to get back in after a polish and lube. Haven't actually had time to ride it since, and the front shocks need doing next day off... Hope they're quicker! (They won't be!)

Cheers
Good stuff mate, persistance paid off !! Frustrating though eh ?? :wink2:

Good luck with the fronts. They're easy enough, just takes a while :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Good stuff mate, persistance paid off !! Frustrating though eh ?? :wink2:

Good luck with the fronts. They're easy enough, just takes a while :thumbsup
Thanks guys for this am awaiting arrival of shock bearing kit and a world of pain with this job ...makes electrical probs like a paid holiday

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thanks for the tips Tiger-G
I was preparing to make the puller like you used but mine came out with only a few taps with a socket extension
Fitted the new Wilbers 641 shock which was tuned for 2 up riding and has remote reservoir and remote preload
The OE shock on my 20005 955i was sagging and pogoing with a pillion after only 16,000 KM
I purchased the bike a few years ago with 11000 KM on the clock (had been in storage) and we put up with it until now - It was the only fault with the bike
The whole job was only an hour or so and by 5pm I was having a Friday arvo beer
I need to do some reassembly this morning and then keen to take the misus for a test ride to see how the new shock/spring goes
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this is an old thread but thanks for the tips Tiger-G
I was preparing to make the puller like you used but mine came out with only a few taps with a socket extension
Fitted the new Wilbers 641 shock which was tuned for 2 up riding and has remote reservoir and remote preload
The OE shock on my 20005 955i was sagging and pogoing with a pillion after only 16,000 KM
I purchased the bike a few years ago with 11000 KM on the clock (had been in storage) and we put up with it until now - It was the only fault with the bike
The whole job was only an hour or so and by 5pm I was having a Friday arvo beer
I need to do some reassembly this morning and then keen to take the misus for a test ride to see how the new shock/spring goes
Thanks again
Glad it was of use. How you getting on with the new shock ?? Better than the old one, feel the difference ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually there was a bit of a problem
The shock length was smaller and it lowered the bike way too much
It wasn't till I got it off the stand this morning that I realised how much it effected the ride height
The OE shock was approx 400mm and the supplied shock was approx 15-20mm shorter
I will have t take it off and send it back so they can extend it a bit

However on the test ride around the local streets with speed bumps and crossings the shock seemed much better in damping
But it scraped the side stand going around suburban corners on first 2 up ride
I wanted to ride being Saturday so I put the pillion seat on my Royal Enfield and we went for an afternoon ride
I am going to take the shock off today and I will post some pics which I need to to send the supplier
The supplier was stumped as his records show the length being 375mm and the label on the box says Triumph Tiger 955i 01 >

1 - 12 of 12 Posts