Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

thinking of buying Tiger 800, but I read that servicing is expensive for that bike. Is that true? How costly do you find servicing Tiger 800? How much for valve adjustement which is more expensive part of servicing? How much for smaller service jobs?

I love that motorcycle but I got scared by reading how expensive it might be...

Thanks
Peter

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
It's no more expensive than anything else. Service costs are just expensive for all brands and vehicle types. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, they're all expensive.

I think the average service costs range from about $300-$1000. I do it all myself because I don't trust dealers to do things right from past experiences.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's no more expensive than anything else. Service costs are just expensive for all brands and vehicle types. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, they're all expensive.

I think the average service costs range from about $300-$1000. I do it all myself because I don't trust dealers to do things right from past experiences.
Totally agree!:smile2:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hi,

thinking of buying Tiger 800, but I read that servicing is expensive for that bike. Is that true? How costly do you find servicing Tiger 800? How much for valve adjustement which is more expensive part of servicing? How much for smaller service jobs?

I love that motorcycle but I got scared by reading how expensive it might be...

Thanks
Peter
The cost of servicing ANY bike is cost prohibitive. Get yourself a FSM and learn about doing easy stuff at first. Oi/filterl changes. Lubing the cables is easy too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just use the factory service manual but I reference his videos here and there.

I never understand 'expensive'. Imagine starting up a business, hiring trained people, paying everyone, taking a big capital risk, and then getting no or a negative return? The hourly rate has to be up there esp with the internet killing your (perhaps excessive) tire and aftermarket parts margins. So the choice is do it yourself or pay. I actually do it myself, because my bike is a luxury and I enjoy servicing the bike myself.
My 2010 Tiger 1050 only needs a valve check every 30k, but it's a real pain to get in there need to disassemble half the bike- takes time). My 2004 bmw boxer I do yearly, but beginning to end it takes an hour and access is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Tigers are no more expensive than most other bikes to own. Some others might be $100 or so cheaper or dearer every service interval (10,000km on the Tiger) but surely that’s insignificant in the scheme of things. Servicing costs over an extended period of time - I’m talking year on year - and assuming you pay to have the work done, are about 4-5c per km. Do it yourself and the cost drops to around 1-2c per km. That’s pretty cheap entertainment and/or transport. If you don’t want to spend that then you’re not going to cope with the recurrent cost of fuel, tyres etc, not to mention riding gear, luggage, accessories.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm thinking it could be more costly, compared to Japanese models, in the long run if you use a dealer for major servicing. With valve adjustments every 12k miles, most Japanese bikes are in the upper teens/mid 20k miles for major servicing. As above, depends on how many miles you ride to get to major servicing costs..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with most commenters here-service is what it is. Check what kind of reviews your local Triumph dealer has. I've got 2 by me and wouldn't use either. Done everything myself so far. Plenty of folks helping online.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm thinking it could be more costly, compared to Japanese models, in the long run if you use a dealer for major servicing. With valve adjustments every 12k miles, most Japanese bikes are in the upper teens/mid 20k miles for major servicing. As above, depends on how many miles you ride to get to major servicing costs..
You’re comparing apples with pears. The dollars might differ but you can hardly compare a Tiger to any Japanese bike taking into account all the costs and benefits of ownership. When you factor in things like quality, features, versatility, shear enjoyment, cred and so on, the Tiger leaves everything else behind, even it’s more direct European competition. I don’t see people choosing Hyundais over Audi or Merc solely because of cheaper servicing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All metric servicing dealers in my area charge $100-120/hr labor. H-D dealers are in the $80/hr area. So, yes, quality/features/etc aside, the Triumph could cost more to service based upon its servicing schedule. When it comes time to reliability, hard to beat the four major Japanese dealers, features/quality aside.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
My 2010 Tiger 1050 only needs a valve check every 30k, but it's a real pain to get in there need to disassemble half the bike- takes time).
Is that 30k miles or Km's? Or a typo?
Says 12k miles in my book, they usually need a few shims changing to keep them at mid or above. Always closed up a tad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts