Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very cool. The quality from the Thailand factories is top notch IMO.

You must have got a good one then. Mine had only been partly assembled before being wheeled out the door. Fortunately the first three days of ownership were accompanied by a southerly gale and torrential rain so I spent the time tightening loose bolts, fitting cables and hoses into the clips provided, adjusting the handlebars so the levers were in the same relative position and generally checking everything was roadworthy. Premium product indeed!

·
Banned
976 Posts
You must have got a good one then. Mine had only been partly assembled before being wheeled out the door. Fortunately the first three days of ownership were accompanied by a southerly gale and torrential rain so I spent the time tightening loose bolts, fitting cables and hoses into the clips provided, adjusting the handlebars so the levers were in the same relative position and generally checking everything was roadworthy. Premium product indeed!
If you got it like that why didnt you take it back to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Agree, the dealers receive them crated and do the final assembly (wheels, handlebars etc), tightening of fastenings, and final quality check. That's the dealer's fault, not the factory.
I thought that, but here's a video of a new T120 being uncrated and all the bits are nailed on. The only things they appear to do is to put acid in the battery, check chain, pump up tyres, gas in the tank and one or two minor bits:

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Good video, thanks. It's sobering and uplifting at the same time to see such industrial magnificence (There appears to be 5 separate factories there, 5!). It's also a shame that economics dictates they can't be in Britain, or at least in the European Union.

How many factories are there altogether? I think there are 2 in the UK, one each in India and Brasil, I think. Here we have some kind of research and development facility in Catalonia, as well.

Knighthood and statue in Parliament Square for John Bloor now...!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you got it like that why didnt you take it back to the dealer?
If they did not pick up these problems prior to sale then what point would taking it back serve.......just get another improperly done check? Its half a days return ride to my dealer, time better spent working on the machine myself.

I find it amazing that people consider that the dealer should be responsible for assembling the bike. A pre-delivery inspection is kick the tyres and count the wheels territory.

There is a thread from just a few days ago in this forum about the plug in the clutch cover falling out. This is a common occurrence, and has been mentioned on this forum, other Triumph forums and some of the Triumph FB pages. Mine was finger tight when delivered. It would appear a large percentage are not tightened, so we have to blame all the Triumph dealers around the world for not picking this up, but must not criticise Triumph for a lack of QC at the factory?

·
Banned
976 Posts
If they did not pick up these problems prior to sale then what point would taking it back serve.......just get another improperly done check? Its half a days return ride to my dealer, time better spent working on the machine myself.

I find it amazing that people consider that the dealer should be responsible for assembling the bike. A pre-delivery inspection is kick the tyres and count the wheels territory.

There is a thread from just a few days ago in this forum about the plug in the clutch cover falling out. This is a common occurrence, and has been mentioned on this forum, other Triumph forums and some of the Triumph FB pages. Mine was finger tight when delivered. It would appear a large percentage are not tightened, so we have to blame all the Triumph dealers around the world for not picking this up, but must not criticise Triumph for a lack of QC at the factory?
I never bought a new bike with warranty, i dont hate money that much but i would probably return it if that much was hanging loose and go buy another Made in england thruxton.. or fix it myself like you did. But then whats the point of buying something new?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good video, thanks. It's sobering and uplifting at the same time to see such industrial magnificence (There appears to be 5 separate factories there, 5!). It's also a shame that economics dictates they can't be in Britain, or at least in the European Union.

How many factories are there altogether? I think there are 2 in the UK, one each in India and Brasil, I think. Here we have some kind of research and development facility in Catalonia, as well.

Knighthood and statue in Parliament Square for John Bloor now...!
I’d love to know what the average salary is for an average Thai factory worker vs a UK worker and by extension how much different (higher) the price of a bike with UK only production.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’d love to know what the average salary is for an average Thai factory worker vs a UK worker and by extension how much different (higher) the price of a bike with UK only production.
the Thai minimum wage is 300baht (about £9) per day. Driven past these factories in the suburbs of Bangkok many times and would love to have a factory visit.
As a side note, here in Thailand we have factories from the following bike companies, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, Hardly Ableson (soon), Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha & Suzuki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
the Thai minimum wage is 300baht (about £9) per day.
Been looking up wages there and industrial jobs range from 6000-8000 Baht/month (£136-£181), I'd guess that is about 10 times less than Triumph workers in the UK's factories get. Considering the degree of automation, how much more would the average bike be if they were made in the UK or even in one of the lower wage European states, like Romania, Hungary, Eslovaquia, etc.

To tell the truth I'd rather pay a fair bit more for mine if it meant my neighbours were not unemployed, but that's just me....and that's coming from a manufacturer that has given up trying to fight the flood of similar products to mine from the East, but far cheaper with good reliable designs, generous warranties and fully certified, complying with all current directives. I've had to adopt theirs and incorporated them into my products...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Been looking up wages there and industrial jobs range from 6000-8000 Baht/month (£136-£181), I'd guess that is about 10 times less than Triumph workers in the UK's factories get. Considering the degree of automation, how much more would the average bike be if they were made in the UK or even in one of the lower wage European states, like Romania, Hungary, Eslovaquia, etc.

To tell the truth I'd rather pay a fair bit more for mine if it meant my neighbours were not unemployed, but that's just me....and that's coming from a manufacturer that has given up trying to fight the flood of similar products to mine from the East, but far cheaper with good reliable designs, generous warranties and fully certified, complying with all current directives. I've had to adopt theirs and incorporated them into my products...
There are also a lot of ‘Westerners’ managing the place and overseeing QC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts