Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a factory tank bag thrown in with the purchase of my 06 and haven't put it on yet. I went out yesterday and looked at it and compared it to the tank on the tona and scratched my head? Looking at the surface area of tank compared to tank bag and the straps on the new bags, I can't help but think the straps will scuff and wear paint off the tank, especially at the rear of the tank? Then there is the question of how and the [email protected] are you suppose to secure this thing below the seat neatly without wrapping and twisting the straps around the subframe under the bodywork? I'm thinking I am going to have to make some fleece sleeves to put over the straps for paint protection. Has anyone used a factory bag for any amount of time and not had the paint worn off the tank? The mounting system on this thing is ***** and I'm not willing to take a chance on ruining the paint :???:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Unfortunately, the tank bag is not a very good fitting item. I do not know if magnetic types will work, but that would be the way to go. I am using Oxford bags and tail trunk on the passenger seat for long rides. The bags work great on short hops too.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brooksie, magnetics won't work. I think I was just more amazed at the poor design in the attachment of the bag. The bag itself is made very well, just those straps. I am glad I didn't pay for the thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have run using a couple different tank bags and the Triumph bag will make noticable mares on the paint, But I currently have been using a Eclipse tank bag for the last year and it does not have the same issues. It fits much better and it came with a soft rubber pad for the tank top and it also runs under the straps on the front and rear. Plus the Eclipse holds more and is expandable
,also has a small bag that attaches to the back end of the bag for toll fair and alike. Even came with a shoulder strap( which I never used)

Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't experience any paint wear from my Triumph tank bag...but I don't leave it on except for road trips. I am rigging a set of clips to be able to remove the pad and keep the underseat straps in place and in this case I am worried that the clips will cause paint damage without some kind of protector in place. Still trying to figure out the best solution.

Maybe it is easier to consider another make as Brooksie and frankncycle suggest. I used Eclipse bags on my Yamaha (I know...it was before I grew up to be an adult) and always considered them to be a well made product (and no damage to the bike either).

Paul

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
http://www.baglux.co.uk/

Try these guys. Pricy but apparently very good. They make a tank protector that the bag simply clips onto. I'm saving up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Magnetics wont work our tank is plastic.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nickwiz, the baglux look great. I think I'm going to try and sew together some fleece covers for the straps and see if that will help. I just hate the thought of trying something that may lend to damaging the paint on the tank. I've book marked the baglux site though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts