Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone bought and used the Triumph tank bag, part # A9510006?
My dealer would have to order it, so I haven't been able to take a look at it - description on Trumpet's web site says it's magnetic, but it also appears to have straps, and quite a large base piece.
I guess you'd have to unbuckle the straps and fold it forward to gas up?

Am trying to decide between the Triumph bag (most $$$), the "trip" tank bag from twisted throttle, or the Cortech super mini.

The Cortech and Twisted T bags are far smaller than the Trumpet bag, so they look less like the Joads or the Beverly Hillbillies moving to California, but I'm also wondering whether with a Renntec tail bag and the Trumpet tank bag, I'd have enough space to pack for a few days without saddlebags...

All help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have an OEM tank bag for my Thrux. It's not magnetic. It has a base that is made out of some kind of synthetic leather with a soft foam that makes contact with the tank. I applied a good coat of wax before putting it on. It takes a bit to get it snugged up good, but it's worth it because it will keep the bag from shifting. Once you have the base on, you simply buckle and velcro the tank bag to it. I didn't like the setup at first, but it has grown on me. To gas up, simply undo the top two buckles and fold the bag back on the seat like this:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - very good info and perfect photo!

I checked the Triumph website and they show the same tank bag part number for both Thrux and Bonnie. Text sez magnetic, but photo shows the base piece you described and the straps. :confused:
I'm sure you're right about it being non-magnetic. The Triumph web site is a little goofy here and there.

Your Thrux looks a lot like my new SE - black, tank pads, Arrow exhaust - but of course you have spokes and I have the aluminum rims that that Triumph bought from JC Whitney back in '75.:)

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - excellent photos!
After looking through that saddlebag thread, though, now I'm leaning toward saddlebags and a smaller tank bag like the one from twisted throttle.
Decisions, decisions...:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Cortech Super-mini. Sorry no pictures yet.

The bag is nice. It has more room than I need for daily riding. It has several magnets to hold it in place as well as a strap that attaches to the handlbar post. When filling with gas, just undo the one strap and lift off.

My only complaint, the bag has not left any scratches, but the strap and bag handle have. Make sure you wax good. I ended up placing a peice of clear window sticker material on the wear spots to protect them. The removable window sticker stuff came from Staples.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have the Cortech Super-mini. Sorry no pictures yet.

The bag is nice. It has more room than I need for daily riding. It has several magnets to hold it in place as well as a strap that attaches to the handlbar post. When filling with gas, just undo the one strap and lift off.

My only complaint, the bag has not left any scratches, but the strap and bag handle have. Make sure you wax good. I ended up placing a peice of clear window sticker material on the wear spots to protect them. The removable window sticker stuff came from Staples.
Be careful with that clear window stuff. I've heard stories about where it melts into the paint and then when you pull it off it takes some paint with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up buying the Cortech Super Mini for now.

Am doing a whole bunch of stuff to my bike and plan to post some photos in the photo section when I'm done, but right now am on the road and won't even see my bike for a couple of weeks!

Thanks for your interest and replies above!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ended up buying the Cortech Super Mini for now.

Am doing a whole bunch of stuff to my bike and plan to post some photos in the photo section when I'm done, but right now am on the road and won't even see my bike for a couple of weeks!

Thanks for your interest and replies above!
The Super-mini is a great bag. I have it on my GS. It is the perfect size. Unfortunately they were not available when I went looking for one in black and magnetic. I ended up with a Field Shier in magnetic. It is slightly bigger than the Cortech, but also magnetic and the base zips on. It is very secure and I don't even need the security strap up to 90+mph.

The only issue I have is that where the magnets go through the base material it is leaving marks, like indententions, on the paint. It is pretty soft material, though the paint must be softer. Very odd. I am not very concerned for now because I plan to repaint the bike anyhow, but damn soft paint on the tank. I wonder if it is ofiginal anyhow?

Jim :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts