Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had issues with their speedometers giving inaccurate readouts?

I experienced this a couple of times on my road trip this summer, where I was going 70 or 80mph and the needle dropped to the 30mph. The bike was moving fine. It's just the display that seems wacky. Pulling over to the side of the road and turning the bike off and on resets it, but that's not always convenient especially on a highway.

The other times I have speedometer issues is where, if I'm going at speed, and pull in the clutch lever (to brake or slow down), the needle will also drop and stay in place. I could see that confusing the speedometer, but you'd think it would reset.

Or it's been stuck at 90mph when I've definitely not gone that fast.

This is pretty much the only issue I've had with the bike in my almost three years of ownership. More of an annoyance than a huge issue, but it'd be nice to figure out what's going on!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had sort of the same problem, if I've been running at say 120kph for awhile and then stop for a set of lights the needle doesn't always drop to 0...when I take off again the speedo will start from the point it stopped at...so if it stopped at 20kph then when I'm doing 80kph it would be registering 100kph.

I put this down to the after-market speedo mounting bracket I'm using (it lays almost flat), and keep meaning to get round to putting a bit of an angle on it to see if this cures it...but I haven't yet LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, perhaps this mystery is unraveling. Thanks for your reply! I’ve also got an aftermarket flat speedo bracket (British Customs) on my bike. I’m not sure what work it would take to put an angle on the bracket short of taking it to a metal shop, or replacing it altogether (though I think the speedo might have been slightly modified to work with the BC bracket.)

Maybe I’ll reach out to BC and see what they think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Okay, perhaps this mystery is unraveling. Thanks for your reply! I’ve also got an aftermarket flat speedo bracket (British Customs) on my bike. I’m not sure what work it would take to put an angle on the bracket short of taking it to a metal shop, or replacing it altogether (though I think the speedo might have been slightly modified to work with the BC bracket.)

Maybe I’ll reach out to BC and see what they think!
Okay cool...that pretty much settles it for me...the bracket is going to get bent. But pls post up what BC has to say about it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got the BC flat mount also and a few times my speedo has jumped up 10 mph if I was riding hard. Hasn't done it in the 5,000 miles since the bike got cammed though and I've been riding the piss out of it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, this is interesting…

The response from British Customs:

I've not heard of this being a issue that would be related-
One good way to find out is to place your original gauge bracket back on and see if the problem disappears

And I just looked at Motone Customs' Street Twin Speedo Bracket description:

We have seen other attempts at speedo brackets on the market, with various compromises - often cut from simple flat aluminium plate which will pick up the road vibrations causing at best inaccurate read outs at speed and at worst failing after a year or so of use.

I might swap out the BC to the Motone bracket. At the time I was modifying my bike, there weren't a lot of aftermarket parts, so I opted for the BC version... Maybe this will be a fix!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, this is interesting…

I might swap out the BC to the Motone bracket. At the time I was modifying my bike, there weren't a lot of aftermarket parts, so I opted for the BC version... Maybe this will be a fix!
Thanks for putting up their reply...didn't really expect them to say anything else really.

Mine is the MotoTrio bracket, and for the life of me I can't remember if the speedo is rubber mounted or not...I'm in UK at the moment visiting my folks, but will be back home next week so will have a look then and see what can be done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took a while but I finally got around to swapping out my British Customs speedo bracket for a Motone Customs one. There BC bracket didn’t use any rubber grommets. And I had to purchase some pricey new ones at $5 a pop! (Too lazy to find the old ones on the original headlight speedo mount) But hoping this will fix the wacky needle issues I’ve been having. Also glad to have a better viewing angle on the speedo again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It took a while but I finally got around to swapping out my British Customs speedo bracket for a Motone Customs one. There BC bracket didn’t use any rubber grommets. And I had to purchase some pricey new ones at $5 a pop! (Too lazy to find the old ones on the original headlight speedo mount) But hoping this will fix the wacky needle issues I’ve been having. Also glad to have a better viewing angle on the speedo again.
I bent my MotoTrio bracket up until the speedo touched the ignition switch and just got back from a three day ride over on the mainland and the speedo didn't stick once...the MotoTrio bracket did use the original rubber mountings but was laid flat, so my guess is that it was the angle of the speedo that was causing the issue...and as you mentioned, it's nice to have the viewing angle back to where it was

1 - 9 of 9 Posts