·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Everyone.

Saw this on the Triumph site....
http://www.triumph.co.uk/australia/2838_2841.aspx

The link has the following information;
"A number of dealers have reported instances of poor performance and/or water ingress on early condition
Triumph hard luggage supplied as optional accessories and fitted to Sprint ST 1050cc and Sprint ST ABS
models (both top box and panniers).
Triumph are offering new condition hard luggage (which include improved performance and greater
resistance to water ingress) to all owners of Sprint ST 1050cc and Sprint ST ABS motorcycles which have
purchased and been fitted with Triumph hard luggage.

As the lock sets fitted to the hard luggage were matched to the motorcycle at the factory, dealers are
required to remove the original lock barrels and fit them to the new condition hard luggage.
Dealers are also required to remove any coloured infill panels from the early condition hard luggage and fit
them to the new condition hard luggage. "

My question is, does anyone know about this already....Just got a 08 ST about 6 weeks ago and am not sure if this should be a concern.?...and if you have not seen it prior, thought you guys might be interested...!

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
That looks like the bulletin that came out shortly after the 05 ST was released and we found out quite quickly how bad the factory luggage was. I opted to return it and get a refund.

Do a search Keanhi and you will find several short novels on the subject.

I'm not getting into a discussion about the ST factory luggage again.

Its still crap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ohhhh well...If its old news delete the thread dudes.

I know stuff gets repeated from time to time...but I cant be buggered sometimes doing a search prior to posting a subject

Not having a go at anything or anyone, don't get me wrong....I'm just lazy :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
From what I remember, that was an issue with the very early factory bags (when the 1050's first came out). I have a 2006, that I bought when Triumph was running the free bag promo and the bags that I have are the new-improved version. I think the early bags were quite a bit more flimsy and they were more of a clam-shell type interface. The newer bags (like mine and I would assume yours too) are more rigid and have an overlapping type closure. Anyways, I don't use mine a whole lot, but so far have not had an issue with water problems! Hope that all made sense.:unsure:

Kevin

·
Registered
357 Posts
My luggage has been watertight since I bought the scoot July '06. No worries at all.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The recall only affects 05 bikes, that was the only year they were optional. Your 08 is well passed any problems the first gen bags had. :)

Early condition Triumph hard luggage supplied as optional accessories and fitted to Sprint ST 1050cc and Sprint ST ABS
models

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Lug age

fill hard bags with Silkolene, 8900cc exactly, then divide your dry clutch plates between the two bags, close and lock, install on bike, let idle until fan comes on for three cycles.
After this routine the bags will shift form side to side in the corners nicely. If the bags still leak, replace part #934A324UPR309, worked for me.
Happy new year boys.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
:laughhard: Right on Redbird but you forgot to explain how the barbells under the tail help with leaking when you turn....

Don't they press on the back of the case in the turn to help seal it? HA!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts