Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am starting to plan my exhaust upgrade and have 3 questions!
  1. Should go as far as trying to cut away the metal surrounding the header pipes to expose the thinner tubing for heat wrap? I notice this extra piece is welded near the headers. Is their an aftermarket thin pipe header exhaust on the market without the 02 sensor inlets? Here is a video with the heat shields removed.

2. As for the the mufflers go what do you think of these: Satin Black Shorty Slashcut Muffler.

3. To finalize, who's had experience with Twin Power's stage 3 tune? - Not in my budget at the moment!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Just my opinion, but since no one else has thrown anything out there.
1. No, unless you like doing a lot of work for purely cosmetic reasons. Cutting away the outer wall/sleeve of the headers will expose a less than great surface. The upper and lower end welds will be unsightly and not easy to cover. Would take a lot of work to grind away and clean up. I am not aware of a single wall header for the cruiser variant, Raask maybe?.

2. Try them if you like. Not real expensive and easy to change. I have changed mufflers several time over the years.

3. No experience with the TTP tunes as my modifications began long before they were available. But the TTP tunes are well reviewed here on the site. Do get the OBDII cable and explore TuneECU if you are going further down the performance modification path. Can always load a store bought tune if needed later. You never listed what year you have but I am guessing it is an EFI model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my opinion, but since no one else has thrown anything out there.
1. No, unless you like doing a lot of work for purely cosmetic reasons. Cutting away the outer wall/sleeve of the headers will expose a less than great surface. The upper and lower end welds will be unsightly and not easy to cover. Would take a lot of work to grind away and clean up. I am not aware of a single wall header for the cruiser variant, Raask maybe?.

2. Try them if you like. Not real expensive and easy to change. I have changed mufflers several time over the years.

3. No experience with the TTP tunes as my modifications began long before they were available. But the TTP tunes are well reviewed here on the site. Do get the OBDII cable and explore TuneECU if you are going further down the performance modification path. Can always load a store bought tune if needed later. You never listed what year you have but I am guessing it is an EFI model.
Well noted,

Yes its a 2014 EFI, I figured the cutaway won't be easy and will be time consuming. Seems like a lot of grinding, steady hands, and finish work. With more reading, it will need to be primed, sanded, and painted with some nice black high temp paint. I think the main reason I want to do this is to try and match my Matte gray with a blacked out exhaust matching the slip on pipe.

*The only other option I see is to try and find the same slash cut slip on but keep the whole exhaust chrome!

Leaning towards getting the slash cuts and dive into this in the fall to avoid upcoming season complications!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts