Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Triumph Speed 4 Quick Release Fuel Connection (female end) that is screwed into the tank with OEM glue can be defeated.

In the beginning, the extraction is going to be difficult. There’s a lot of forums about it; I've pulled the most useful info for me together, and didn’t have to buy a lot of the stuff that was recommended (and very helpful!), just a socket and some Freeze-Off.

The quickest extraction that I have not seen posted in the forums is to “freeze” the valve before extraction with CRC Freeze-Off. This was recommended to me by Andrew at O’Reilley Auto Parts in White Bear Lake, MN (and I have to give him props because I told him I would if he was right). A 19mm socket pulls the quick connect valve from the bottom of the tank successfully and without breaking it.

I don’t know if there are residual effects of using this, but it worked without having to use an extrusion tool or breaking off the head and digging out the threads. I thought it was worth the risk, rather than put a torch to my fuel tank (I’ve been down that road before).

Take the pin that pushes up and down (and NOT the thumb tab). Push the thumb tab in all the way, then you push the pin in at the same time all the way down to extract the thumb tab (Be careful; there is a spring that shoots out like the old “snake in the can” gag). Slide the thumb tab out. When the metal pieces are extracted, the 19mm nut can be slid over it immediately after you spray it down. Make sure you put a dry towel around the area to soak up the freeze-off.

I ordered the OEM part from the geniuses at Simply Sports Bikes in Edina MN, who had it shipped in from the Triumph Dealership, part # T1240858. I had it in 2 days.

I set the tank upright after this installation overnight and reinstalled it on the bike. I keep waiting for a jinx, but I’ve ridden it all day with no leaking, no smell, and I *think* I’m good to go.
The sheer joy this brought me is unintelligible.

The valve in my hand in the photo is the original one that was in my tank that I extracted, to show you it can be removed without breaking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
That looks a lot easier than pliers and anger!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ordered the OEM part from the geniuses at Simply Sports Bikes in Edina MN, who had it shipped in from the Triumph Dealership, part # T1240858. I had it in 2 days.
Did you replace the OEM plastic part with another OEM plastic part?

The empty hole is the "red" hole, the piece in the tank is white and the piece in your hand is white. Was your OEM piece not red?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The extracted quick connect is white in color and located in red port. The replacement quick connect is red in color. I believe the replacement part is OEM. A friend bought it for me as a gift. If it fails we now know how to fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to revive a dead thread, but I just successfully used your CRC Freeze Off method last night! I had the fuel fitting recall performed way back when I owned this bike brand new from the box and can say with confidence the plastic fittings hadn't been changed in over a decade.

I replaced the plastic connectors with the following chrome plated brass units from https://quickcouplings.net/:
2 x LCD10004BSPTV - 1/4 BSPT Valved Coupling Body w/Viton seal

I decided not to switch the male connectors yet as they are the metal recall replacements but the part numbers are as follows if anyone needs them:
1 x LCD23004V - 1/4 Hose Barb Valved Elbow Coupling Insert w/Viton seals
1 x LCD23006V - 3/8 Hose Barb Valved Elbow Coupling Insert w/Viton seals

Thanks for the *very* useful tip about Freeze Off!

PS - it sure was nice not leaking gasoline all over the place on the way back to the bike with the tank in hand!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts