Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't Triumph introduce the new clocks on the Tiger range to the S3 range for 2007? The one lack on the '05/'06 S3 was that of a decent fuel gauge, which has now been reported added to the instrument panel on the new '07 Tiger!

If I were Triumph, I'd change the specs a little though:

1. Ditch the bar graph for the temperature gauge and give a direct Centigrade/Fahrenheit read-out

2. Add a fuel gauge. Not Bar graph but in percentage terms.

3. Add a digital gear indicator

While I'm at it, I'd also add:

4. A chipped ignition key as standard;

5. Fully adjustable front forks (and not the partial arrangement presently offered);

6. User-Adjusting collar on the rear shock. Better quality shock as well!

7. Radial Brake Lever (as is standard on the 675), with less lever travel;

8. A better seat with more forward support;

9. Rear-view mirrors that work!

10. Hydraulic clutch lever.

11. Gear-shift lever with no positive stop in 6th (as per my BMW -- much easier to tell that you are in top! -- what is the technical term for this?)

Can any one add (or argue against) my wish-list?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
All those and an 'R' version with Ohlins suspenders, Marchesini or PFM roundy roundy things and Brembo anchors. Maybe an Arrow or Zard stubby stuck on as stock also, but I doubt the cans due to emissions and noise.

[ This message was edited by: Avi8or on 2006-12-10 10:30 ]

·
Registered
919 Posts
I never understood what people have against the bar graph temp gauge. It gives a good visual indication at a glance. Don't fool yourself that a digital readout is all that accurate, the sensors used in most OE systems are not that good. A lot of automobile temp gauges are designed to go to the exact same needle position over a wide range of temperatures because the manufactures got tired of dealing with customers who complained if it started reading an RCH higher or lower.

A fuel gauge and gear indicator would be nice. There is already a level sensor so adding a readout should be virtually free. The gear shift that flops up in sixth would eliminate most of the need of a gear indicator. I don't know what you call that either.

I agree with a better seat & rear shock. However, the rear preload is adjustable albeit with tools. The newer mirrors do work .

I disagree with a hydraulic clutch, the stock one feels fine and is cheaper, simpler and lighter.

The ignition keys with security chips seem to be pretty problematic on some vehicles. A friend of mine has had Chevy buy back two suburbans because they won't start and they can't fix them. My 350Z refuses to start sometimes, I have to get my spare key and then it works. Since anyone can just pick up a bike and throw it in a truck I don't see that adding much security.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Another thumbs down on the chipped igniton key. Not only are they problamatic, (Ford Focus' are notorious for refusing to work) they cost a fortune to replace if you lose one. And like Doc said, who uses a key to steal a bike anyway?

A digital gear indicator would be nice, but you can buy that as an add on.

There is a German company selling a hydraulic clutch conversion kit if you really must have one, but I don't see any advantage to it.

A fuel gauge is superfluous in my opinion. That's what trip meters are for.

Analog gauge cluster! Please! Something like on the Thruxton would be nice, with a real temperature gauge and possibly an oil pressure gauge.

I'd LOVE this as my speedometer:
<A HREF="http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/speedometer-reproduction-smiths-p-6626.html" TARGET="_blank">

</A>

They also make a tach, but it only goes to 8000 RPM, and neither would work with the Speed Triple electronics...

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2006-12-10 12:20 ]

·
Registered
583 Posts
On 2006-12-10 08:46, teologie wrote:
Why can't Triumph introduce the new clocks on the Tiger range to the S3 range for 2007? The one lack on the '05/'06 S3 was that of a decent fuel gauge, which has now been reported added to the instrument panel on the new '07 Tiger!

If I were Triumph, I'd change the specs a little though:

1. Ditch the bar graph for the temperature gauge and give a direct Centigrade/Fahrenheit read-out,,

that would be kinda cool, wouldn't mind knowing what was really going on

2. Add a fuel gauge. Not Bar graph but in percentage terms.

percentage would be nice as well,

3. Add a digital gear indicator
gears, you mean it's got gears? i just figured it was supposed to go rattttatattaaaaatttatatatatatatatattatatat. all the time.... really you don't know what gear your in????

While I'm at it, I'd also add:

4. A chipped ignition key as standard;
errrr no way, foget that, somethin else to go wrong, it's a naked bike, don't add what it don't need

5. Fully adjustable front forks (and not the partial arrangement presently offered);
eh, they work fine for me, if your gonna upgrade, just go with a set of ohlins

6. User-Adjusting collar on the rear shock. Better quality shock as well!
never had a problem, but maybe it could be better, (but i've never experienced better)
7. Radial Brake Lever (as is standard on the 675), with less lever travel;
yes yes yes yes,,, do i hear slaybells ringing,, next to a set of brembo's???

8. A better seat with more forward support;

lol, i'm just the opposite, i keep falling off the back for some reason

9. Rear-view mirrors that work! mine work great, they're the 07 mirrors,, you should have seen the 05 mirrors,, great view of your shoulders

10. Hydraulic clutch lever. can't fix a hydraulic clutch lever on the road, but i have a spare cable, i think i have more feel with cable

11. Gear-shift lever with no positive stop in 6th (as per my BMW -- much easier to tell that you are in top! -- what is the technical term for this?)
what the hell are you talking about,, gears, what the freak are those?

Can any one add (or argue against) my wish-list?

yeah, i demand a lolly-pop holder,, i'm tired of having to stick it to the front of my visor.

·
Registered
643 Posts
On 2006-12-10 12:18, crashmasterd wrote:
Another thumbs down on the chipped igniton key. Not only are they problamatic, (Ford Focus' are notorious for refusing to work) they cost a fortune to replace if you lose one. And like Doc said, who uses a key to steal a bike anyway?
+1. Ducati replacement keys are around $2500 according to my duc riding friends who keep their spares in a safety deposit box.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were a Honda there would be no problem with the chipped key -- I know... I own a Fireblade. Works perfect EVERY time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts