Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Triumph has no CVO division and is not likely to have in the foreseeable future.

Without sales numbers to give them adequate purchasing power with custom component manufacturers, anything they put together of along these lines, while undoubtedly lovely to behold, would be overpriced compared to the competition. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
>I would have to disagree. Everything they produce now is very competitive price wise, especially considering the value of the US dollar, I don't see why anything else would not be competitive.

It's very simple. If they can sell 5000 - 7000 units of a bike in a year, they can interest enough suppliers in producing the necessary components. Less than that, it becomes iffy, and all they can be sure of getting is accessory items that would otherwise have a modest potential market among customers anyway...like those which go to make up the Classic.

As for the US dollar, don't get me started on that. If the current trend in currencies continues, we're going to be seeing hefty price increases on stuff from the UK, and soon. We're already Europe's equivalent of Mexico, with folks popping over here on jets to pick up big bargains in NYC, out at the Mall of the Americas, etc.

>I think they would be able to do it and have it priced near that of the Ultra Classics (which are $20,000). Plus you get twice the hp and torque. Not a bad deal even if it was priced a few hundred higher than HD.

Try several thousand. The economies of scale are just not there right now, in part for the very reason you mention next.

>The only kicker is the resale values suck compared to HD, which also plagues the Jap bikes.

This is a real biggie, which does limit the number of new sales Triumph can count on; and is an even more limiting factor as one begins targeting more specialized markets like the full-dresser segment.

>Triumph has an edge over all of the major bike makers, they don't have stockholders to keep happy .... Bloor can pretty much do what he wants to please himself, ie Triumph's absence from CW International Motorcycle Show.

He sometimes enters into projects that don't earn him much money, but one thing he definitely doesn't like to do is lose money. Shunning a magazine-hosted dog and pony show is one thing, and it hasn't cost him a penny; but building something a bit too specialized for a market a fraction the size of the present Rocket demand could be a losing proposition.

>As far a purchasing power, they are able to do it now, why wouldn't they in the future.

Able to do what? Certainly not build one-offs or even dozens-off willynilly. Not even hundreds...as witness the demise of the 955 Daytona, a lovely machine and a sentimental favorite which was long the king of the fleet.

And they don't manufacture much of anything themselves but the tanks, engines, and a certain amount of bodywork. Leather bags, instrument assemblies, light assemblies, chrome trim elements, and other such goodies are all outsourced.

Right now, if they attempted to build a full dresser, it would be with all aftermarket accessories, and that's why I figure it'd be thousands more than a comparable HD.

If they someday reach the point where their marketing folks are convinced the demand exceeds the threshold needed to obtain bulk quantities of the necessary custom luggage and trim and whatever from their vendors at a decent price point, they'll I bet they'll do it. Strong sales of the Classic version might convince them, for instance.

But who can say when that will be? Hence, the comment that I wouldn't hold my breath.

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
> Oh Mr Bloor, while on the subject, could we have a midsize all roads adventure bike using the D675 mill please.

Yes sir, please, sir!

They wouldn't be able to build those fast enough... :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.