Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 Bonnie and the only service manual I can find is the Triumph manual which sells for $100.

Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have it for my Sprint and it isnt worth it. The older manuals were quite good but the 05+ manual is terrible.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Worth is relative - as compared to what? That could be the only option at this point for an 09.

If the question is relative worth compared to no other option, then the answer is contingent on what you want to accomplish.

As Jim Malone would say. "what arrrgh ewe prepared to duhe"?

·
29,948 Posts
I can't speak about the Sprint manuals, I haven't seen those, but I am very happy with the Triumph OEM Bonnie manual, I think it is worth it, especially if you are going to do a lot of work on the bike yourself.

Haynes make a manual for Bonnies up to 07 which is also excellent, and I think sells for about 25 bucks. Having both is a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
If you're concerned about the cost, the Haynes manual should be good for everything except the fuel system.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Its worth every penny if you're any kind of "wrencher" All it takes is one good problem, electrical or mechanical, hunted down in the guide to make it worth its price. Shiloh has the Haynes and I have the Triumph shop manual and what detail may be left out in one guide is picked up by the other. You can't go wrong with either. Bottom line, buy one of them for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Manuel!

+1 on all the previous posts. If you don't need any fuel system info get a Haynes manual it should be good for 99% of all your work on the bike. If you need any further info, this board is a wealth of information and plenty of help when you need it.
I find I use the manual a lot of the time just to refresh my memory or to install/uninstall various components.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the Haynes one and it seems quite satisfactory for the average to above average DIY owner. It was about $25.00 plus shipping.

This manual is obviously intended and written for the UK market, but as a Triumph fan, it adds to the charm of the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Simple answer to your simple question: YES

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you intend doing any work at all on your bike, then, yes, it's definitely worth it. If, however, you will simply go to the dealer/mechanic if any problems occur, then no, you won't need it.

(I have the Triumph one and consider it excellent).

·
Registered
352 Posts
To be honest, I think for most of us punters the Haynes manual is the most appropriate. There's been stuff in even those in the past (car ones mind) that have still led to me having major headaches because my tool kit, though present and correct, was not of the quality and strength that a professional (or very serious amateur) would have to hand. I am pissed off though, that despite two emails to Haynes, I have not even had the civility of a friggin' reply when I asked when an EFI Bonnie manual was likely to be out.
Not even "Dunno mate". If they're not going to bother replying then get rid of the bloody contact email addresses.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you compare the high cost of the factory service manual against what the dealership charges for shop rates (+/- $75.00USD per hour), The manual pays for itself when you do the 6000 mile service yourself. Of course the first 500 mile service has to be done by the dealer to keep the warranty in force; but afterward you can do whatever service that you're comfortable with. As an added bonus, you have a motivated individual who will do the service in a workman like manner.:D ---James.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I can't tell you the countless hours of frustration the factory manual has saved me from. I'm usually halfway into a project when I lose track of how I got it apart, or I need torque specs. The factory manual is well worth it and you can usually find one on ebay for $50 or so.

·
29,948 Posts
Whenever the subject of workshop manuals comes up, someone always posts a link to a pirated copy of the manual somewhere.

I just want to remind you all that I won't allow links to pirated workshop manuals, and I won't allow requests or offers to distribute them either.

Go and buy either the Haynes or the OEM manual.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Like everyone has said, it really depends on how much work you intend to do on it. I don't know about the EFI stuff, but I think everything else should be on par with the '01-'07. You don't need your year model manual to learn how to check steering head bearings or whatever else at 6000 miles. I say do the maintenance through Triumph until the warranty runs out and then do it yourself. I'm sure you can get by on the basic maintenance without the new manual, and by the time you run into something big you will have either scored a good deal on a Triumph manual or Haynes will have the new one out.

Roger

·
Registered
964 Posts
What's the basis for this statement? I don't believe it's true.
I was told this by the dealer when I took delivery of my machine. The warranty manual states on page #12,"The first service MUST be carried out at 500 miles or after 1 month, whichever comes first". Sure, you can do it yourself; but if you can't furnish solid proof that the 500 mile maintenance was done, they can refuse to honor the warranty. If you read about the many experiences on this site concerning warranty work; it takes an Act of Congress to get them to honor the warranty,even in the most obvious cases. Given the opportunity, they will weasel out of it. Remember it's up to the DEALER to determine whether of not to accept an oil and filter receipt or a work ticket from a non-Triumph shop. It's much easier to let them have their $200.00 for an oil change and a half-assed inspection instead of getting in a pissing contest later down the road. Of course, some folks thrive on pissing contests.;)---James.

·
29,948 Posts
Well, this seems to vary by dealer. I got the impression that my dealer wasn't too fussed, but I had negotiated the first service into the bike purchase anyway - but there are definitely dealers out there who will write off your warranty if the first service is not done by them.

It seems in a lot of those cases, that they are not necessarily the best dealers to work with.

I have to say, I am quite happy with my dealer - nice little family business. I met the owners recently, they knew me from having conversations with their staff! Very personable, very friendly. I like that - Belle Plaine Motorsports Minnesota. :thumbsup: Plus I like thier daughter :D who works there. Whoops! That may have been offside! Coming in from the side of a ruck there hohohoho. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts