Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey good folk,

have had the bike (2007) for a few weeks and it has already been back to the shop for a new oil cooler and cam cover gasket. Removed the A.I. last night and noticed pool of fresh engine oil around the banjo that sits on top of the engine directly beneath the carbs. The oil has sloshed around this part of the engine cover and looks as if there's a wee trail coming from the oil filler cap. So I'm wondering, do I have a leak from the banjo or has one of the mechanics hurriedly topped up the oil and spilled some? Can't find any threads for leaks in this area but has anyone had this experience?

Also checked the oil level and it exceeds the upper level mark so I'm also wondering if one of the grease-monkeys has over-filled the bike and potentially caused the leaks through excess pressure?

Thoughts and comments appreciated

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Putting oil in a Scrambler isn't any fun. It could easily have been a spill that didn't get cleaned up. Just clean it up and watch it.

If the oil level is at the top of the sight glass, you're OK. Its not right, but you're OK. I've accidently overfilled mine to that level with no ill effects. That's where it is if you put 4 quarts in it instead of 3.5 (or whatever the litre equivalents are).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pokeyjoe. I think the oil is probably about level with the top of the sight glass but difficult to be certain. If the bike is literally 1-2 degrees off of vertical the level drops down to the upper limit. Let's hope the 'leak' is due to nothing more serious than haste.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My first comment is...Great bike! You have very good taste.
My second comment...Do as much maintenance as you can on your bike. Oil changes, etc. After owning complex motorcycles in the recent past, a very big plus for me is that the Triumphs are straightforward and easy to work on.
My local "dealer" is just that. To him (them?) Triumphs are an afterthought in the corner of the multi-brand complex. Guess you could say I'm not impressed with dealer knowledge of/interest in my bike. This is not a blanket indictment of all, just my comment from experience. If you do your own work you know what the deal is.
My guess is the errant oil is sloppyness. Wipe it up and keep and eye on the level. Leaks can be stopped with proper torque and fresh gaskets/seals if necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts