Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I am asking for help because I have no idea anymore.
After start the engine, I left the garage, pressed the clutch and the engine went out, the check engine and oil light came on.
I cannot start the motorcycle, only heard a click.

1. I installed a new charged battery,
2. I did the bypass modification

3. I shorted the solenoid coils

Unfortunately, no effect.
I will be grateful for any help

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you shorted between terminal #1 and #3 the solenoid should have made a click sound and the starter should turn. If that didn't happen possible causes are week battery, try jumper cables from a car, bad, loose connection at the battery, positive or negative cable, bad connection at post #3 battery cable, post #4 cable to starter and cable connection at starter. Post #2 goes to ground. If all the above checks out while jumping from post #3 to #1 12 volts, battery voltage, should be transferred from post #3 to #4. If not the solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't know what the "bypass modification" is, but I'd do this: Select neutral, kickstand up, "choke" at least 1 click out, clutch in, key on, and killswitch OFF. Then as soon as you turn the killswitch ON, before the needle sweep finishes, hit the start button. If it's the same behavior, do all the same as above except don't worry about the timing with the killswitch. But press and hold the starter button for a few seconds and see if it kicks in. See also this post/thread:

Clutch - I too have recently had a clutch starting issue. Drove ok to a place, stopped came back to my bike, clutch in, neutral selected, started ok, put it into 1st gear - motor stops?
back to neutral starts again ok - into 1st gear - motor stops!#@~. did this several times still trying to maintain a cool perspective with some interested bike onlookers. I adjusted the clutch cable a bit started the bike ok - into 1st gear and all is ok ???????. So was the clutch sw at a threshold of operation where the motor would start but selecting a gear cause it to bounce open and stop the motor? Hasn't done this since adjusting the cable slightly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to start the bike again today. This time, to be sure, I took out the clutch safety switch on the lever and shorted the wires 1 and 3 in the solenoid. Every time I start I hear a click but nothing else happens. The only difference is when the wires are shorted in the solenoid, then the click is louder, the lights dim more and I can see on the meter that there is a high power consumption. I wonder if this may be a problem with the shaft position sensor?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
With a jumper wire go from terminal #2 to ground to eliminate that possibility, it should be grounded already through the harness. With a volt meter check volts at #3 while jumping from #3 to #1, then check the volts at #4 while jumping #3 to #1, then check the volts at the starter post while jumping #3 to #1. Put the meter probe on the stud not the cable. All readings should be similar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can see on the meter that there is a high power consumption
Either your starter is bad or the engine is locked up.

Ensure the bike is in neutral, jumping terminals 3 and 4 together with a screwdriver should result in a motor that cranks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the information. today I checked the battery with the meter after turning on the key, light etc. , the meter showed 12.6V. I checked the voltage on the starter and after pressing the start button the meter showed 2V on starter??? I understand that it should be at least 12V?
In addition, I am not able to move the engine in any gear. Is it still an electrical problem?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Remove the spark plugs and see if the engine will turn over by pushing it in 5th gear or by starter. Ground the plug wires so they don't spark in case fuel is blown out the cylinders.
What is volts at the battery? If 2 volts at the starter while trying to start and 12 volts at the battery you may have a bad solenoid, bad cable connection, positive or ground. If two volts you have a weak or bad battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I took out the spark plugs and tried to push to move to turn the engine, but unfortunately he did not move in any gear

I am still wondering about the low voltage on the starter (2V). My batteries are 100% good, new and charged. Before the problem with starting the engine appeared, I took off the fuel tank and maybe I damaged the main beam in which the diode package is. If so, I ordered diodes and a diagnostic cable to check the error code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I took out the spark plugs and tried to roll front and rear, the rear wheel is locked. I just wonder where the low voltage on the starter comes from. I don't believe in two problems at the same time. Maybe I measure the incorrectly? I put the plus to the starter cord and the minus to the engine body, then I turn the key and start the engine. I checked it several times and the meter shows a voltage of about 2V

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like something mechanical is going on, you can stop looking for electrical problems. (for now)
Do you have a centerstand or rear paddock stand. Using stand, put bike in 5th gear and try rotating the wheel in the forward direction, it should turn the engine a bit, even if only slowly

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just wonder where the low voltage on the starter comes from. I don't believe in two problems at the same time.
The low voltage isn't a problem, it's just the effect of an electrical short. When electric motors don't/can't turn they act as electrical shorts. Inside them is merely a wound copper wire connected between the positive and negative side after all. As with all shorts to ground, power/voltage is pulled down extensively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
today i bought a cable and read the error list. One error occurred P0413 = Secondary air injection system short circuit to ground or open circuit. I remembered that two weeks ago I bought an AI removal kit. Could it be related? In the TuneEcu program, I removed the errors, but the check engine light is still on and the engine does not start.
I think I have exhausted my options and are returning the bike to the service for repair

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I checked the solenoid voltage with a meter. with the ignition off I have 12.8V on the right solenoid coil. and on the left solenoid coil I only have 5V when pressing the start button
at the same time. Does this mean the solenoid is broken?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Today I checked the solenoid voltage with a meter. with the ignition off I have 12.8V on the right solenoid coil. and on the left solenoid coil I only have 5V when pressing the start button
at the same time. Does this mean the solenoid is broken?
No, if your engine is locked up the problem will be mechanical. First place to look is under the clutch cover. The boss for the starter idler gear is known to break off which can jam the engine. Also the oil pump drive gears are plastic and have been known to break up. Its unlikely that a seized starter motor would jam up the engine, as the sprag clutch would allow the engine to turn independently.

Don't forget that the engine was running at the time it became seized, so the starter circuit would not even be connected at that time. Something happened when you pulled the clutch, whether the cause is related to the clutch is unknown until you take a look. It could be anything from a broken gear to a dropped valve.

I'm basing this on the fact that the rear wheel is locked when the bike is in gear, which points to a locked up engine. The low voltage showing at the solenoid would indicate that the starter motor is trying to turn the engine but cannot, so it will be drawing an incredible amount of current. Don't keep trying to run the starter motor as this will burn it out pretty quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts