Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:is it just me or do most triumph dealers charge a freight and set up fee, and not budge on there price at all. i work for a yamaha dealership and about 50% of us do charge it. (we dont. we think it is a rip off) so i have called around to see if any one would knock off 500$ off msrp some say sure they will but there is a 500 dollor set up fee. and some say they will wave the set up fee and not budge from msrp. at my yamaha dearship we are giving great deals just to move bikes in these winter months. but i guess triumph dosnt have much trouble selling these.
any thoughts

·
Registered
893 Posts
I paid msrp at a Yamaha dealer for my wife's scooter, but the salesman told me up front that there would be no freight or set up fee. Picked it up and rode it home. Paid the taxes and registration myself as it was an out of state purchase. Not the same experience at a different brand dealer on another purchase in my town. The price was higher than the msrp and then they added setup and freight. I managed to get them to lower the price down to the actual msrp but that was it. Ended up not buying. I paid msrp for my Triumph and freight, but no setup fee.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
My dealer charges lots of extra BS fees and does not come off the price. Prior year models are discounted but if you want the new bike count on over $1000 being added to the MSRP.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I paid list with no delivery/set up fees...he threw in gators and a center stand.

you should have some wiggle room because he needs to sell it more than you need to buy it.

the last week of the month, give him the price you'll pay and your phone number...tell him the deal is on the table for 3 days if he would like to sell an additional bike this month.

I assure you the economy news is not good for sales, and he knows it already.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me be the one to let the cat out of the bag. on some of the yamaha scooters there is less than 100 dollors mark up. so that is why most dealers wont come down from msrp. but these triumph dealers must have gotton togeather and set and agreed that they would not cut prices. hell if you want a yamaha you can go out on the net and find new 09s for dealer cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the last week of the month, give him the price you'll pay and your phone number...tell him the deal is on the table for 3 days if he would like to sell an additional bike this month.

lol that didnt work. i just called and offered 8500 in cash today for a t100 09 and he not only said no but HELL NO!!!. LOL

·
Registered
687 Posts
No extra cost

My dealer doesn't charge for freight and set up. He sticks with MSRP a near as I can tell unless there is a factory promo. Engle Motors in Kansas City. Oh yeah there was a doc fee of around $45.00. My bike an 04 in 05 BBlack was $6500.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My dealer knocked off shipping fee-$450 dealer prep-$250 and then took $800 off msrp on my 08 Tiger. He did this right off the bat on his own. I don't think Tigers are selling that well around here but talking to some other folks who bought other model Triumphs he seems to deal like that with every one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I paid full price for my T100 a year ago, I should have shopped around but i wanted that bike that day. Dumb because I paid cash and i could have gotten a better price but was told that was the price and thats it. If I were buying today I wouldn't pay full price , I've went in the dealer a few weeks ago and its dead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've noticed as well that a lot of places will not discount the MSRP on the bike, but will throw in $1000 worth of gear/accessories/etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My dealer knocked off shipping fee-$450 dealer prep-$250 and then took $800 off msrp on my 08 Tiger. He did this right off the bat on his own. I don't think Tigers are selling that well around here but talking to some other folks who bought other model Triumphs he seems to deal like that with every one.
When I was shopping for my Thruxton, I kept finding the best deals in your town.

Maybe he's into it for the love of the dream more than the love of the green?

-simpson

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I think the deal you get depends on a few things -- model, time of year, and how well a dealership does. A smaller dealer (maybe Triumph's, and Ducati's alone = not a lot of bikes going out the door) will probably let the added fees go.... A lot of business (BMW's Triumph's, Ducati's, who knows what else they sell = they can stick us for the fees cuz if customer #1 refuses to pay it, customer #2 will). A year old model will probably be a little easier to get a deal on also. I mean, if it didn't sell last year, they are going to have to do something to sell it this year.

I had $1000 tacked on to mine and the dealer knew he had me. I called the nearest dealer, 100 miles away, asked what he had on the floor ready to sell. He told me, and I bought it right there on the phone. He faxed me a purchase order and that is the 1st time I saw/heard/realized the "setup", "delivery", and "frieght" charge. Called him right back, told him it would have been nice to know this when we spoke on the phone. We split the difference -- I paid $500 and he ate $500.

I've always felt, these bikes (Triumph's in general, and the Bonneville in particular), if you want one, you are going to have to weigh the MSRP and fees vs how bad you really want it. A week after I made my deal above, the dealer had no more 08 Bonnie's in stock. What I got for $7299 plus $500 in dealer fees is just fine with me....

And.... there was another dealer in the town I bought in. They told me MSRP plus $1175, take it or leave it, zero negotiations. I left it real quick!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i just settled on a deal. in kc i found a 2009 green and opal for 8500 out the door. i is going to cost me about 60 bucks to drive there but to save 800 well worth it. the dealership i got it at was in kansas city

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/Motorcycles/Default.aspx?r=450530288403352300
When it's time to buy a new truck for my business i offer them $100.00 more on the KBB Kelley Blue Book price and if they don't want to sell it to you for that price walk away. I don't see the economic recovery happening any time soon..
yha that is true on used. but i was kind of talking new. and as far as kbb goes offer whatever the difference is between trade in and retail is. as most dealers paid trade in for the bike they have for sale

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have two Triumph now, both are leftovers. A 06 Scrambler bought in 07 and a 08 Rocket 3 bought this month. No set up fees or delivery fees. Paid below MSRP on each one. I got a bikes that were a year old when recived but I didn't care. Each dealer dropped the prices enough for me. Never cared for a dealer giving me a sale price and then at signing trying to get me to pay for other costs the they didn't bring up at time of sales talk. I think the the overhead ect... should be in the sales cost tag hanging on the bike in the show room, not tagged on at the time of payment.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
The "firm" pricing, while possibly upsetting to some buyers, is one of the keys to their success. They produce to meet what they perceive their demand will be, at what they deem a fair price to both the dealer and the retail buyer. They endeavor to not get caught with expensive over production, nor force their dealers to take on excess inventory. (Harley, take notice...)
Things may well loosen up in coming months, as a result of the recession, AND for us in North America, as a result of the collapsed Pound which makes US dollars strong when buying Brit imports.
I think Triumph has a saavy business model.
I felt my purchase price was good value for a good product.
Gee, that sounds like a sensible idea...
;)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The sales person can make a major difference also. My bike had a large blaze orange sign on it with a price and the letters OTD(out the door). The finance person tried to up the price. When the salesman came out with the paperwork he never even let me see it. He just stopped and said there was a small problem, turned around and went back in the back. When he came back a little later he told me he had to explain to the owner and the finance person what out the door meant. I would buy a bike from him again.

They were attempting to charge me for the installation of the saddle bags even though the bags were free.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've purchased 3 new Triumphs in the last 10yrs and they were always "new" models. 99Sprint ST, 05 Sprint ST and an 07 Tiger. In each case the ones I purchased were one of the first two the dealer received. A friend bought the others. We paid MSRP and expected to do so. Over the years I have received significant discounts on parts and accessories, exemplary service from the entire dealership, the use of the owner's demo for 2 different weekend rides, warranty coverage on the 99 when it was 7 months out of warranty, ad infinitum. And, friendship. Worth far more to me than a discount at time of purchase.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts