Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '05 last week and saw in the owners manual that it has a power outlet. I looked at the outlet and it seems smaller than most. Do I need an adapter to use it for things like a GPS or heated gear? If so, anyone know where I can get such an adapter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a adapter at a BMW shop .. it fits great. One thing about what you plug into it... make sure it's fused. The outlet fuse according to the shop manual is 10A. My GPS would fry before tripping that.... I dropped a inline fuse on the GPS line at 1/2 amp.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can find the male and female plugs at any John Deere dealership too..!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Useless fact:
Ironically, the original use of fuses were only meant to save the wiring harness, not the unit itself.

Just made up a conversion using the J.D. plug and a single unit 3 socket female cigerette outlet. It travels from the ST socket to my tank bag.
I've wired my GPS, Autocom and cell phone to it. Eventually a radar will also be attached.

Thinking about mass producing and selling this plug conversion to you guys for a real good discount :wink:

Seriously, If anyone is interested let me know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like something I'd be interested in. Does it have a fuse? What are you selling it for?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Currently it does not have a fuse; only because the mail end of any cigerette plug has one built into it.

I have about $30USD into parts alone, but if I can get a number of people show interest I may be able to sell them for about $30 (plus shipping

Below are a couple snap shots of it.

Notice that this conversion includes a plug to separate the two outlets. This allows me to feed the wire through a small hole in my tank bag.

·
Registered
720 Posts
On 2006-11-20 19:22, Sport wrote:
Useless fact:
Ironically, the original use of fuses were only meant to save the wiring harness, not the unit itself.

Just made up a conversion using the J.D. plug and a single unit 3 socket female cigerette outlet. It travels from the ST socket to my tank bag.
I've wired my GPS, Autocom and cell phone to it. Eventually a radar will also be attached.

Thinking about mass producing and selling this plug conversion to you guys for a real good discount :wink:

Seriously, If anyone is interested let me know.

I am interested my friend. Sounds as though it will be very useful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine adapter is in the mail from the non-local Triumph shop, $11. The mailing cost is $4, cheaper than gas for the cage for a 60 mile round trip.

Now all I need is something to power up!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am planing on converting to ARINC 628

ARINC 628

Many of my gadgets already have this connector type as an option or inplace. Its more compact and a more secure connection than the alternatives.

Instead of y cables I will mount sockets near the accessories mounting point. Like thu covers over the headlight or upper fairings flat edge.. One mounted inside each pannier.. Charge the laptop on the go via my small laptop only inverter... Etc..

In the case of a cell phone and GPS I can use the signal terminals optional on the 628 type connector. Connecting them to power and the autocom with a single cable.

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-21 19:23 ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts