Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My '955 is coming up to a year and three quarters old, and at my last service (13,000 miles) I mentioned to the Dealer that the pannier brackets were rusting.

They started rusting before the bike was a year old. In particular the metal bracket that hinges open after putting the key in:

He sent away for new parts under warranty, and the wrong ones came back and were fitted (the bits you can't see under the seat and mudguard). I spotted this straight away when I picked the bike up and they sent away again for the correct parts. The exact same wrong parts came back again. That's two trips to the Dealer for wrong parts. They phoned Triumph and they said that the parts I needed were no longer made and were obsolete :(

Where do I go from here ??

Should I write to Triumph and ask for some compensation ??

Do I just accept that I'm going to have to live with rusty brackets ??

Any ideas would be welcome :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would keep thumping on the table Graeme! :) The bike is still under warranty and they should be able to replace the parts, no trace of rust on mine yet and I do travel in the rain a fair bit. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the parts are obsolete...

Remove, disassemble, sand, and rattle-can paint satin or flat black. Use a metal bumper type paint. Very durable.

Not alot of work and it will be as good, if not better, than new.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Less than 2 years old, still under warranty and they're saying the parts are obsolete? It seems to me it's Triumph's problem, not yours, to come up with a solution, after all a warranty must have some legal obligations!

If they tried that with me you'd probably hear my response from across the ocean!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ridiculous! Some on this forum have had better luck dealing with Triumph (either in the US or the UK) directly concerning warranty issues. Some dealers can't seem to make the right thing happen....

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've had my tiger from new,2005 with 20,000 miles.My brackets have gone rusty on the ends just like yours.To be honest it doesn't bother me at all. The rest of the bike is fine and with panniers fitted you don't see the handle. You could sand them down and paint with a little smooth Hammerite I guess. They stopped making the 955i in 2006 and maybe this is an unusual part to replace ? Anyway I've had 3 sets of replacement front discs ! Replaced no problem under warranty so I was pleased with customer service. If you want to see rust take a look at a new HD... Hope you sort it out because the 955 is a very tough bike and generally good to own.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I bought my 05 at one year old, it had exactly the same thing. It was/is the only rust on the whole bike(mainly because it's mainly alloy), but the Hammerite trick solved it and the rot has not returned over many wet miles of riding. So save all those frustrating trips to the dealer and buy a little pot of paint! The occasional squirt of WD40 keeps the pannier locks in good working order.
Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think the scary part of this thread is that the dealer fitted the wrong parts, what's all that about?

I would find out the cost of these parts and ask for the money as compensation, from your dealer. Your dealer should claim back from Triumph - not you...

·
Registered
705 Posts
The pannier brackets have a habit of retaining water, especially afte you have just washed the bike. I have a built in a habit of opening the locks, drying them off with compressed air, then spraying them with WD4o every time I wash the bike down.

It's worked so far, though I've not looked too cosely for rust recently

Jon

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I'll contact Triumph soon, who will fob me off, then I'll strip 'em and repaint 'em :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
pannier brackets

yeah mine are the same just removed them today took half hour now to clean them up and either spray them up but my brother in-law says i could powder coat them gonna find out there pretty bad mind and my bikes only 2 years old ill post some pictures of before and after when i do the job ok:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts