Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in love with the '06 Sprint....Until I saw the new Buell Ulysses. I know they are different, but the idea of a dual sport that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is enticing. Now I don't know what to do! Any advice? :???:

[ This message was edited by: andre955 on 2006-11-10 20:31 ]

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
There used to be a link on this forum a couple of years ago to an American Triumph Dealer`s site where a guy on a 955 Speed Triple races a Buell Thunderbolt on a 1/4 mile dragstrip and beats him, no great surprise there, except that the Speed Triple did the whole thing on the back wheel! Maybe one of our long termers can find this link???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I would consider the Tiger if it were an " all rounder", but from what I have been reading, it is not made to go off road at all. Also, If I wanted something fast, I would get the Kawi ZX-14. I bet that it would even beat a speed triple :)

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-10 21:15, andre955 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I would consider the Tiger if it were an " all rounder", but from what I have been reading, it is not made to go off road at all. Also, If I wanted something fast, I would get the Kawi ZX-14. I bet that it would even beat a speed triple :)
I guess it would at that :) I like the ZX14 as well, the specs, comfort and stability seem bullet proof, but the look is not quite to my taste. Maybe when they get to version 2 or 3 of the model. Mind you it's an expensive hobby burning tyres :)

I know they don't rate the Tiger as off road any more, but if you only mean dirt/gravel roads then the more copmpliant suspension and increased travel and still having more than 100ponies for only 2/3 of the BeeEM R1200GS price seems a bargain to me... Oh and did we say we'd throw in an extra cylinder to either the BM or the Buel :pkit: ;-)

Russ

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you want to go off road,Get the klr 650 or dr650 for half the cost,and keep the daytona,the lighter the bike the easier it is to get out the mud,the big kawi dual purpose is pretty capable tourer as well .

[ This message was edited by: rs_tt on 2006-11-10 21:32 ]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I rode one of the XBR12's at the bike show last year and I must say that I am impressed with what Buell builds. Engineering wise they are VERY cool (AND COMPACT) bikes. I was not impressed at all with that tractor motor! Don't like the shaking and the shifter was straight out of a 1965 Beetle! Maybe the newer 5 speeds are better, but the power delivery and shaking is probably still there.

But I never thought about this; I read about it recently and it is something you better consider SERIOUSLY for any bike if you plan to actually take it up any fire or dirt roads. The insurance company's routinely right off Buells for small ding's and dents in either the frame (fuel tank) or the swing arm. (oil tank) Now you might not right it off for the swing arm, but it's going to be expensive. The frame I understand though is a common right off for the smallest dent. They won't take a chance with it doing double duty as the fuel tank in this litigious society with ANY type of imperfection.

Go with a Tiger if you plan on actually taking this thing off road....even a little.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-11 03:42 ]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is very useful info. That is the kind of thing that you find out too late. If one were to take the Tiger off road. Would it handle ok? I don't mean serious off road, just dirt hardpack. Is the NEW Tiger made to handle this? Would I need to add different tires?

Thanks,
AR

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-11 06:10, andre955 wrote:
That is very useful info. That is the kind of thing that you find out too late. If one were to take the Tiger off road. Would it handle ok? I don't mean serious off road, just dirt hardpack. Is the NEW Tiger made to handle this? Would I need to add different tires?

Thanks,
AR
I would, just look at the tyres on the BMW1200GS, made for dual purpose, grip well on the tar and last between 12-20000K.

Russ

·
Registered
616 Posts
IMO a 500+lb motorcycle, tiger/gs etc, isn't a true "off road" motorcycle. If you ride fire roads, hard pack dirt or gravel the Tiger will do that well. If it's dual sport, thru the woods you're anticipating "you're a better man than I Gunga Dhin"

·
Registered
54 Posts
A Buell is just a nice looking Harley. And with that comes all the Harley issues. Outdated motor and horrible tranny.

Every day I ride back and forth to work with a bud, who has a Buell. We like to kid each other on the abilities of our bikes.

We have put our bikes to the test, and the only thing his Buell does better is the 1/8 mile. That is only because I have a hard time keeping the front tire down off the line. After that, it is all over. He does not even follow me on the twisties anymore. It just doesn't do it.

By the way, he is looking at buying a Triumph Thruxton now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All good points brought up by fellow Triumph owners. As the owner of 2 Buells (1999 M2 and now a 1996 S1) and a 2000 Sprint ST, I must step up in the defense of Buell motorcycles. I think if you have an interest in a Ulysses, by all means go ride one! Buell dealers are encouraged to allow test rides, and during the spring months actually give a free sling bag for doing so. I rode a new Ulysses last spring, and I must agree that they are unusually tall (I'm 6'-2"). Buell offers a lower seat to help with this if you are uncomfortable with it. Personally, I love Buells, but the Ulysses isn't for me.

In addition to test riding a Ulysses, or any Buell, I suggest that you visit the Badweatherbikers.com web site and do a bit of reading. I'm not sure you are going to get much positive reading about Buell motorcycles on a Triumph site.

Now to my thoughts: while my Sprint is an exceptionally good bike: smooth, reliable, fast, and pretty, but I find myself most often riding the Buell. The Buell isn't as comfortable, as fast, or as smooth, but it has more PERSONALITY. I really can't even tell you why I prefer the Buell. I don't intend to get rid of a Buell or the Sprint, but if I was forced to keep only one bike, I would keep a Buell.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would seriously consider a Firebolt 1200 if I could get a ride on one. Not that I'm shopping, but hey, I like all the specs. I might try to swing a test ride this spring.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts