Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm sure this has been discussed but either

A. I suck at searching or..
B. I'm blind as a bat b/c I went through the first 3 pages of topics

Anyways

Picking up my 06 Sprint ST on saturday and the luggage has already been sold off of it. I will have the brackets and everything for the side luggage so I'm thinking my best option will be Triumph side bags (I'm guessing here). but dealer cost on those is $750. I don't need them immediately so I'm hoping I can find those on ebay or something

Also.. I wanted a top case. I was thinking Givi for one of those. This will be on the bike more than anything and the side luggage will be added for long trips.

What are you guys opinions on the matter? Triumph or Aftermarket and why?

TIA

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not to knock Triumph, but the bags on my '06 (the updated ones), aren't the best I've ever had. I have had several Givi cases, like them a lot, especially the E460 monokeys. If my bike hadn't come with "free" luggage, I would have most likely gone with a Givi solution.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my 06 used and it did not have luggage, I bought the Triumph luggage because the dealer gave me a great deal on it. But now after having them a while I think the Givi is the better bag. bete

·
Registered
119 Posts
It seems like this question comes up every week. I have the 3-piece stock luggage on my '01 and it works great. I can put two full faced helmets in the top box. I have never had any problems with them.

Why did they redesign the newer luggage and make it so user unfriendly and smaller? Everyone seems to hate the newer stuff...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I agree, this subject does seem to pop every week and I reckon the reason is because the new luggage is c***!

Just my opinion of course and I know people with the new luggage that like it.

I had the three box, factory luggage on my 99 ST and did a lot of miles with it aboard. It worked very well.

The boxes on the new series are huge, but the internal dimensions and irregular shape make it impossible to get much in them.

GIVI have successfully been doing motorcycle luggage for a long time and Triumph have tried to unsuccessfully re invent the wheel.

For value for money, being user friendly and practical, GIVI with SW Motech metal work is the way to go.

Build it well and they will buy it. :-D

Brett.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am looking at sport bags from Cortech. I have not met them in person (yet), but there is a dealer here and I am going to check them out.

Cortech/Tourmaster

I have a Cortech GX Air jacket, and I am totally convinced that these guys ride. Everthing about the functionality, clarity of materials, ergonomics, and design are flawless. I can't find anything about this jacket that was not carefully thought about to deliver a perfect year round jacket. I was so impressed with their engineering and design, that I am definitely considering them as a definite possible solution for luggage and storage on my SprintST.

Edit: I like to ride naked most of the time. These will make it real easy to go that route without going through the pain of removing/installing panniers. I like the pannier and the seamless integration from Triumph, but I don't want them on there most of the time, and when I want storage, I want it quick and easy.

=ike=

[ This message was edited by: ike9 on 2007-03-01 21:35 ]

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like the stock Triumph bags but this is my first bike with hard bags. I would change a few things but otherwise I am happy with them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apologize for the repeat question fellas. I promised I did a search, I suppose I'm blind. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my '06 Sprint before the free luggage offer, Bas***ds. So I went with the SW Motech quick release hardware and Givi bags, and I couldn't be happier. Hardware removes in seconds leaving a clean look to the bike and the bags have proved worthy of the job (there ain't too much sexy to say about a pair of black plastic boxes!) .

However, If you've already got the Triumph mounting hardware, it may be cheaper to hold out for a pair of Triumph bags on ebay. Not everyone cares for luggage and I've seen a few pairs advertised recently. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If your Sprint is Sunset Red, or if you are interested in changing the side case covers (this may be possible), I have a set of brand new '06 Sunset Red cases + hardware. They only made one trip--from the dealer to home. They are essentially brand new. They can be easily rekeyed to your bike by your (or any) dealer.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, please feel free to post here or send me a PM.

And, if you are curious, I had a 3 case GIVI setup from the previous bike that I wanted to stick with.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
sprintamx - are you sure they can be easily rekeyed to another bike?

I had the original Triumphs boxes for my 05 ST. When the revamped ones came out the only way to change the locks over was to drill them out using a hole saw. Of course this destroys the boxes.

There may well be a method of getting the barrels out without doing any damage, but I recall this was one of the drawbacks of having all the luggage locks the same as the ignition key.

Cheers,
Brett.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The original owner of my '01 purchased the top box after the side boxes so the locks didn't match. I went to the local locksmith and it took about 15 minutes to change all 3 locks on the top box to match the others.

I can't imagine they made it so the locks can't be changed on the newer bikes, that would be ridiculous. Or just another reason everyone hates the new luggage.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK.. 1 last one..

What's the difference between the Givi and SW Moteck mounting hardware? Far as I can see the side bag hardware on the SWM is quickly removable and both will handle Givi cases.

Moteck seems to be a little more expensive. Better quality? nicer finish? what's the deal?

G

·
I would check ebay or here, sport-touring.net or t595 for triumph paniers and get a givi top case.

I think it looks nice and is functional;

top case link

[ This message was edited by: joerider on 2007-03-03 19:46 ]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stinger, hopefully this is right on cue. I have the Triumph hard bags still in the box for the 2006 Sprint ST, with Sunset Red inserts. Never opened. I travel light, so have no use for them. I was planning to put them on eBay tomorrow.

If you're interested, send me an email and we'll see if we can work something out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts