Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I bought a 1976 Triumph Bonneville T140 which has been modified somewhat to a 1968 TR6C.

I was looking for a mirror and some rear footpegs for the bike. (Maybe even the original exhaust system depending on price)

It's got the threads for a RH mirror. Any idea what size they are?

More importantly, I'm looking for a website like bikebandit or powersportspro where I can type in my bike year make and model and find every part, price and part # for that bike.
Bikebandit has all the Japanese bikes but only goes back to 1990 on the Triumph's.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I know of no website that has a listing of parts by model, year or brand. Bike Bandit is simply using OEM microfiche links like all the other dealers use for Japanese bikes.

The parts book for your bike is here: http://www.bigdcycle.com/book project/750 UNIT TWINS/76 750 twins parts/index.html

The service manual is here:
http://classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/Repair.htm

Armed with the parts book, all the Triumph parts dealers work from the OEM part numbers. British Only has a great on-line catalog you can search by part number.

As for the mods done to your bike, it's up to you to figure out what is original and what is not using the parts book. The site with the service manuals also has some parts books so you might find what is on your bike in a '68 parts book.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi, I bought a 1976 Triumph Bonneville T140 which has been modified somewhat to a 1968 TR6C.

I was looking for a mirror and some rear footpegs for the bike. (Maybe even the original exhaust system depending on price)

It's got the threads for a RH mirror. Any idea what size they are?

More importantly, I'm looking for a website like bikebandit or powersportspro where I can type in my bike year make and model and find every part, price and part # for that bike.
Bikebandit has all the Japanese bikes but only goes back to 1990 on the Triumph's.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I would like to say welcome and congrats on your BIKE!!! I wish there was a website for older Brit Bikes that you could do just that; type in your bike info and POOF there is everything you need to know. However, that is what makes old Brit Bikes more personal. Being able to really know your bike in and out by using shop manuals and parts catalogs is really a treasure. A little research and you will soon find yourself in a plethora of knowledge waiting to be read.

Here is a good reference of what your bike looked like stock.

http://classic-motorbikes.net/gallery~triumph-bonneville-t140-gallery

Here is a little History of your Bike. this site has links to many different places that could point you in the right direction to getting your bike to where you want it.

http://www.sump-publishing.co.uk/t140.htm

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
it may be either 3/5 or 5/16th unf I'm not sure.
5/16 for a T140V

It won't be 10mm or 8 mm as this was a later size.

If you only have one mirror hole, and you're LHD, I'd buy a clamp on and have it on the clutch side. Certainly, in the UK, if I had one mirror, it'd be on my throttle side.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I have those bar end mirrors on a BSA. If you find that you do not have enough adjustment with your specific handlebar bend, the stems on those mirrors will bend. I clamped mine in a vise with soft jaws and gave them a little twist so the mirrors were in the middle of the adjustment range. Makes life much easier on the street.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about those bar end mirriors, not sure how I feel about them though. I did find that British Only website. I guess I will just have to start looking up part numbers for things I want myself with some of these websites. I'm glad I got that bigDcycle website. THat's really handy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far I think I found a part number for everything I am looking to replace. I have yet to find a part number for a mirror yet though. Still searching.

All in all I can find just about anything brand new for this bike. When I started restoring my 74 Kawasaki, I couldn't find ANY new parts anywhere.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have another question about exhaust and mufflers.

Anyone know of good aftermarket exhaust pipes for my 76 bonneville? I heard Dunstall's are decent? Any other ideas

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
When you say pipes and then Dunstall, I assume you mean mufflers and not a complete exhaust system.

For the money, the EMGO Dunstall replicas work well and sound good. They also make a stock replacement for your bike if you prefer a quieter exhaust. There is a pre OIF muffler made to fit your stock pipes if you like that look, but they are not cheap.

If you are looking for a complete exhaust system, there are other choices and it all depends on what look you are going for.

I would suggest that you peruse the Brit Bike vendor sites like British Cycle Supply, Waldridge, British Only, etc.. Vintage bike dealers like Baxters may also give you further ideas of how the various exhausts look, although he has mostly stock bikes. If you Google Triumph Motorcycle Exhaust, I would think all kinds of sites will pop up.

regards,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
13,593 Posts
If you can find a Dunstall 2-into-1-into-2 with Decibell muffs, BUY IT!!!!!

Dunstall made several different header configurations and muffler combinations besides thier very popular Decibell mufflers, but the 2/1/2 system was the cream of the crop (I had one on my '78 and should have swapped it out before I traded it for my Legend).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you can find a Dunstall 2-into-1-into-2 with Decibell muffs, BUY IT!!!!!

Dunstall made several different header configurations and muffler combinations besides thier very popular Decibell mufflers, but the 2/1/2 system was the cream of the crop (I had one on my '78 and should have swapped it out before I traded it for my Legend).
Basically I am looking for something cheap, but I do want the entire exhaust system, mufflers and all.
British Only is confusing as all get out. I decided just to give up on that website. I type in what I need and get 3000 results. I want 2 complete exhaust systems to choose from not 3000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts