Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
DFW

Greetings from TX. I live on the outskirts of a large metropolitan area. We were fortunate enough to have three Triumph dealerships when I became interested in Triumph motorcycles a decade ago. We are now down to two. One in Dallas one in Fort Worth. They are fifty miles apart. There used to be a dealer between the two where I purchased my first new 2015 Bonneville. Each dealership carries another brand like BMW or Ducati. I wish the best for them and do not envy their jobs. Both have a different character to them one more modern the other more old school with decades of riding behind them. I gravitate to that shop and will have them do my 10k valve work. If/when that shop closes, that may be all for me Triumph wise. It's been a blast and I hope it continues for another decade or so.

·
Registered
983 Posts
You know I liked the looks of Triumphs back in the 1960s when I first started riding. However, I bought and rode Kawasakis because I wanted fast and that was what I could afford. I didn't seriously consider Triumphs because they were a little pricey, unreliable and a tad slow compared to the competition.

At that time I didn't know about the management issues, labor and cash flow problems that help drive them out of business.

Fast forward to 1995 and the new Triumph the bikes were still a tad slow, but reliable and compared with the Japanese in pricing so I bought my first of eight new Triumphs.

By all accounts John Bloor was a successful businessman and had not followed the path of failure of the old Triumph company.

I understand John's son Nick has been running the company since 2003.

Since 1995 I've counted five CEOs of Triumph of America that have left or been fired: Michael Lock, Ross Clifford, Mike Vaughn, Greg Heichelbech, and Matthew Sheahan. I'm not even sure they have CEO for Triumph of America since 2018.

As a grown up I now understand how a company is run is as important as the bike they sell. Mismanaged companies do things like reward their management for forcing bikes on dealers then claiming them as legitimate sales. Forcing successful dealers to either pony up money for new signage or floor space or lose their dealerships. Take on tons of clothing and accessories they might not sale. Send them bikes they didn't order. Slow roll warranty and recalls so customers blame the dealers. Make most parts a back order item for weeks to months. Make buying a Triumph a crap shoot whether the dealer that sold the bike will be a Triumph dealer in a year or you have to drive 300 miles to find another one.

I didn't leave Triumph the motorcycle but Triumph the motorcycle company left me.

·
Driftless Admin
11,406 Posts
Last summer Triumph did the ATLAK tour, took a big army truck from Atlanta to Alaska with a bunch of their Tigers, throwing events along the way. It was a bust I think. They never made it to Alaska, communications about it were pretty bad. Just, poorly run.

I went to one down on the Mississippi River in Illinois, by Galena. It was well populated, but there were a ton of people from Chicago, 150 miles away. A Chicago dealership was well represented.

Well, the next day I had a flat and got a tow over to Dubuque to get it fixed. I went to Sindt, a very cool and well established family-run place. Been selling Triumphs for a long time. While they worked on the bike I chatted with one of the owners, hung out in the shop watching and chatting with the mechanics. They are motorcyclists through and through, and took care of a fellow rider. Top notch and much appreciated.

The owner says to me, well, how did you hear about the ATLAK event? I said I ran into on the web somehow I think. He said Sindt used to be very active running a RAT group, supporting Triumph, and holding events. But, at some point Triumph stopped supporting that. And, he said, they never contacted him once about the ATLAK event, which was held just 15 miles from his shop.

You just don't treat people that way, it sucks. And it's exactly that type of dealership Triumph seems to be dropping. It's called "chopping off your nose to spite your face" I believe. I'm sure that Chicago dealer ordered more bikes, and all of that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
FWIW, I just forwarded a link to this thread to Triumph NA and UK.
We're their customer base, maybe they need to read what we think.
Who knows, maybe some high muckity muck type might take a look at this and the direction they're headed in and decide to do something positive for the consumer, the dealers and the company itself.

Triumph was riding high many moons ago and we all know how that went.
Don't want to see history repeat itself as they make a great product.
I was secretly thinking, wishing, that someone from Triumph would catch wind of owner concern/dissatisfaction. The dealer told me they currently have no CEO, possibly no COO. Maybe they'll make some hires that change things for the better. If I attend the moto show I'll make a point of discussing it with a rep (though they know nothing ... maybe?).

·
Registered
328 Posts
If wishes were fishes… in a perfect world:

Gary Nixon, Dave Aldana, and Gene Romero would be running Triumph

Dick Mann and Jim Rice would be running BSA

Mert Lawill and Cal Rayborn would be running HD

Michael Hailwood would be running Honda

Kenny Roberts would be running Yamaha

Barry Sheene would be running Suzuki

Dr. Fabio Taglioni and Paul Smart would be running Ducati

Phil Read and Giacomo Agostini would be running MV Agusta

and…

Yvon Duhamel would be running Kawasaki… God help us all.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Actually in July 2018 after I wrote a thread titled "Big Shake I Triumph USA" I got a private message from a public relations person fromTriumph America saying they would make it all clear in the near future.

Well that was over a year ago when Sheahan got canned and I'm still waiting.

So at least some in Triumph have heard some of what's being said. Either they have quit listening and don't want to be bothered or the plain don't care. When married people react to each other that way they usually end up separated and or divorced.

In my case we are separated and I have custody of the Thruxton R. The paperwork has been filed and I adopted a new BMW.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Forcing successful dealers to either pony up money for new signage or floor space or lose their dealerships. Take on tons of clothing and accessories they might not sale. Send them bikes they didn't order. Slow roll warranty and recalls so customers blame the dealers. Make most parts a back order item for weeks to months.
This is almost exactly what I was told by a local dealer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Man, this is all really disheartening to read. This really seems like a completely illogical approach to further building up the Triumph brand in the US market. I started owning/riding Hinkley Triumphs 20+ years ago. While Triumph continues to deliver killer models, the grassroots, personalized and supportive nature of the company seems long gone in the US. It's a shame.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Man, this is all really disheartening to read. This really seems like a completely illogical approach to further building up the Triumph brand in the US market. I started owning/riding Hinkley Triumphs 20+ years ago. While Triumph continues to deliver killer models, the grassroots, personalized and supportive nature of the company seems long gone in the US. It's a shame.
My first one was a 1996 Thunderbird that I sold to myself since I was the sales manager at the time, it's still running and in a friends garage.

Okay it's true Triumph US sucks right now but if they broke they can fix it. It was pretty good from 1995 to around 2001.

I'm waiting to see they understand that they have a problem.

Love the bikes but not so much the company right now.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts