Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about selling my 98 S/E . i am wanting something different. how is the market for older triumphs right now? if i am going to take a great loss i'll keep the bike for now.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
i am thinking about selling my 98 S/E. How is the market for older Triumphs right now?
I assume you mean a Sprint Exec and not a 1200SE - probably a little different depending on what's for sale

Just one personal opinion, no flames please, and my opinion is only from the US perspective, mine only, mostly for online or cross-country transactions. I have been looking for a super clean D12 or D12SE casually and the market (for those) in the last year or two has been pretty down. I have not seen one break $4K. I have not seen a nice one I really wanted either - theres a lot of dogs and frankenbikes out there - folks can't resist "customizing" then and the price tanks. I've been watching other earlier Hinkleys too and a lot of high asking prices and not many deals at those prices. Still surprising what clean or resto 40 year old Bonnevilles and similar go for.

MCN puts out a used bike guide, and the prices in my opinion are pretty accurate for what other makes are doing, and the Sprint of your year is in the mid $2K range while KBB is $1k more. I'd say MCNs list is what I would do a deal for if I was buying, and KBB is what people ask. :D I would be very surprised if I could get KBB's retail-ish price and mine are in very very good condition.

So it seems "it depends" on what you have and what you want for it, and luck of finding a willing buyer that wants your bike. I couldn't likely get what I'd want for mine and they're not worth all that much so I keep them.

There are always the rare buyers that will pay top dollar for hangar queens making some exception to the averages.

Not sure if this was any help, but it is reasonably easy to but up an ebay or (gasp) CL advert and see what happens. The way I have sold stuff on ebay - if it's nice and clean, put a good premium, but fair price, then relax if it sells or not its ok.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
The used market is really good for buyers that are patient. The sellers almost always need to adjust their expectations.

That said...DJW you got a PM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts