Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got sent and completed a Triumph questionnaire about the brand.

What bikes have I got, what other bikes have I got, what do I think of these brands, who is Triumph's main competitor, that sort of thing.

The question which frustrated me was one of the ones at the end about me as a person, age, sex, etc, then,

Which of the following sports do I play/watch/neither:

Swimming
Golf
Rugby/America football
Football/Soccer
Gym/fitness
Volleyball
Skiing/snowboarding
Cycling
Motorcycle racing
Martial arts/combat sports
Extreme sports
Basketball
Tennis
Car racing
Sailing

I understand then putting gym/fitness together, skiing and snowboarding together, but Rugby and American football???

I'm sorry, but no.

Very different sports! Very different sports indeed!

·
2,988 Posts
Hand egg/American football is very different from rugby. Maybe that's as close as they could get?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Wow, picky aren't we. It's a good thing they didn't list Cricket/Baseball. Besides, it's not called America Football. I'm more impressed that you bothered to fill out the questionnaire.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, picky aren't we. It's a good thing they didn't list Cricket/Baseball. Besides, it's not called America Football. I'm more impressed that you bothered to fill out the questionnaire.
Yeah, i guess we should be grateful for small mercies!

I only filled it out as it arrived in my inbox while i was at work...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hand egg/American football is very different from rugby. Maybe that's as close as they could get?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
They managed to split motorcycle racing and car racing on two different lines.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Triumph and other motorcycle companies hire research companies to do these questionnaires and some of the questions have nothing to do with motorcycle or the people who put these questions up have no motorcycle experience at all, so no wonder why they ask stupid questions and most of the time you can't give them a stupid answer lol.

Ashley

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Triumph and other motorcycle companies hire research companies to do these questionnaires and some of the questions have nothing to do with motorcycle or the people who put these questions up have no motorcycle experience at all, so no wonder why they ask stupid questions and most of the time you can't give them a stupid answer lol.

Ashley
Ah, fully understand why they do it; they need to understand their customers so they can shape their products, advertising etc, but it seems seems that I've been asked a question about whether I like something, which is in fact two things that are unrelated.

I spent most of this weekend watching rugby, yelling at the television, but have absolutely zero interest in American Football whatsoever.

It's a bit like being asked which of the following do you participate in:

Eating out
Gardening
Stamp collecting
Motorcycling/fetish clubs
Cooking/welding
Archery

In the triumph example there are two vastly different sports but with a similar shaped ball, and in mine I've snuck in a question about activities that involve wearing leather and another about heating stuff up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not sure what your point is. Clearly it's a survey designed for use in both the UK and USA. You just chose which sport is applicable to your country.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Started to answer the questions but the survey became to personal. Obvious fishing to target you with future advertising.
if Triumph wants input to improve the product that’s great but don’t need to know half the questions on that email. Survey was BS. Triumph are you listening?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Gyp: The error here is looking for intelligence and logic from the marketing community. There just isn't any. Kind of like the old line from the "Startrek" TV series "Beam me up Scottie. No visible signs of intelligence on this planet". My answer to marketing people is "Go get a job. I don't have time for stupid questions". ...J.D.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's the information economy. Your data is valuable. All of it. It's how algorithms are developed and companies not only target advertising but actually manipulate your spending behavior. The survey company will give Triumph the data that is important to Triumph and keep or sell the rest for use with other marketing development or even political campaign services. Hell they may even sell it to an insurance provider in countries that have no public option. And they don't need any permission to do so (at least not in the states).

For instance, Triumph may be interested in what I think of their product, my age, where I'm from, etc. The RNC/DNC may want to know what kind of sports I'm into which-along with other data points- may offer some insight into my socioeconomic class, credit score and even political leanings. My health insurance provider would probably like to know that I ride motorcycles and enjoy contact sports, etc. Hell Visa even sells the information that let's creditors know whether you pay at the pump for fuel or if you actually go insude the store. It seems that people who do not regularly pay at the pump are more likely to be cigarette smokers, and people who smoke are less likely to pay their bills on time, yada yada.

Personal data of all sorts is the most valuable commodity on earth right now.

And this American doesn't get pissed about Rugby vs "American" Football. Two different things. Wish I knew more about the former. What's the difference in Rugby and Austrailian rules football, any? Same for Hockey, wish I knew more about that too.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Recently got sent and completed a Triumph questionnaire about the brand.

What bikes have I got, what other bikes have I got, what do I think of these brands, who is Triumph's main competitor, that sort of thing.

The question which frustrated me was one of the ones at the end about me as a person, age, sex, etc, then,

Which of the following sports do I play/watch/neither:

Swimming
Golf
Rugby/America football
Football/Soccer
Gym/fitness
Volleyball
Skiing/snowboarding
Cycling
Motorcycle racing
Martial arts/combat sports
Extreme sports
Basketball
Tennis
Car racing
Sailing

I understand then putting gym/fitness together, skiing and snowboarding together, but Rugby and American football???

I'm sorry, but no.

Very different sports! Very different sports indeed!
Different sports, yes, but this isn't about sports per se. It's about the mental makeup, the psychology, of the people involved in them. The object of the questionnaire is to measure specific data points to determine the psychological makeup/parameters of those that ride motorcycles in order to efficiently target and market to those individuals. Even though American football and rugby are inherently different sports, they have enough in common in rough, violent physical activity, power, strength, and speed, to warrant grouping them together for the purposes of data taking.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts