Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted a luggage rack yesterday to my 98 Trident. It is the genuine Triumph part and it has 5kg load max marked on it. It fits the Trident and Trophy models with twin pillion grab handles.

I intend to fit a Kappa K46 top box onto it with about 10kg of load. I can see my wife filling the box with stuff on our forthcoming holiday in euro land.

Has anyone else used this rack and with what kind of load? I think it is strong enough for the job and the 5kg rating is just ultra-cautious ass covering. I would be glad to have this confirmed - particularly as I have just paid £100 for it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
No Problem

I have the rack on my 2002 Trophy. I also have a Givi 46 box. Doesn't seem to be a problem. My wife and I use it for helmets and such. Joe

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have the Genuine Trophy box on mine and have overloaded more than once. Went to the grocery once and had two gallons of milk and anything else that would fit. Did not seem to be a problem but I did notice the change in handling due to the weight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Overloaded?

I routinely overload my rack (with top box) and saddlebags on trips and haven't noticed any ill effects from it, other than handling. I think the Triumph numbers are VERY conservative. Maybe it has to do with not exceeding the GVW of the bike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
hello!

me n the mrs 2 up round europe usually have the following in..

tent - 3kg
2 x sleep bags 1.6kgt tot
2 x fold chairs 2kg tot
gas burner - dunno

usually sling around 8kg in the panniers and 6 in a tank bag.... she weighs 8 stone and me 12

works fine for me although a 3000miles trip will square the rear tyre half way down and thats on the twisties, prob only 500miles motorway!

ps - i have the triumph topbox on a 02 1200.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bet that's what the "5 KG" is really for. The rack itself is very sturdy. However, when you put too much weight up that high and to the rear of the bike, handling becomes an issue.

I routinely overload my rack (with top box) and saddlebags on trips and haven't noticed any ill effects from it, other than handling..........

·
Registered
105 Posts
hello!
me n the mrs 2 up round europe usually have the following in..

tent - 3kg
2 x sleep bags 1.6kgt tot
2 x fold chairs 2kg tot
gas burner - dunno

ps - i have the triumph topbox on a 02 1200.
Any pics of your bike loaded. I'm torn between working out how to get my Trophy 1200 loaded with the Triumph boxes on, or change out the top box. On me T100 I have a Givi 52L top box with a rack on it too. Decisions, decision???

·
Registered
33 Posts
rack /packing boxes

Hi,
I have totally loaded both top box and panniers and if you ae travelling with no pillion then be aware that if you do exceed 110mph then you will get a tank slap (weave). as weight and wind make it quite scarey. went to austia rat run. was a carrier for others as some tiumphs have little or no luggage capacity.
If you have a pillion have pushed it to 120+ with no troubles. ( late for ferry)Does square of rear tyre . watch cornering too.
I weighed each pannier on wife weight watchers scales to make sure they were even. a little over recommended weight but ok.

good luck. drive safe.
P.S. I use the triumph inner pannier bags make it easier and no dirty panniers to un hitch ... friend put his down on hotel carpet and chain lube was on the bottom --say know more .

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a Triumph top box that I have never overloaded, but it still cracked in five places. Not very good for a factory accessory!

Jeff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've got a Triumph top box that I have never overloaded, but it still cracked in five places. Not very good for a factory accessory!

Jeff.

Yes, it's well documented about the boxes cracking, poor show for Triumph!
There has also been a few cases of the Triumph rack cracking as well, due to it being cast aluminium;o(
I have a Kappa (same as Givi) and a Renntec rack, no problems in over seven years, and 100% waterproof, wish I could say the same for the Triumph panniers!

Trophymick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oooo, another red one :)

And I see you were traveling light there ;)

Do you load your tent on top of the back box or else where. Only I'm finding the bike a tad top heavy anyway and looking at the possibility of perhaps strapping the tent and any other heavy big stuff lower down on the bike. Maybe to the wifes ankles :eek:

·
Registered
248 Posts
red is best!!

when loading we stick the 2.5kg tent in the topbox at the back (back being towards the front of the bike) with a mallet, and two of them self inflating mats 1kg each at the front of the box... on top of that we stick two midgit size folding chairs (with back thou!) on top and two inflatable pillows, oh and the wee gas burner.....

the sides we have our clothes - one side each and a 1kg compressable sleeping bag and them micro fibre towels from yoemans (c£25 each).... beach towels and most clothes go in compression bags (no vacuum needed) and other clothes go round.... heavy stuff at the bottom....

tank bag has all the other crap like phones, chargers, books, a tiny pan, cutlary (all in one jobs), glasses, passports.....

further crap goes in the glove boxes....

all bike clothes are worn when out with the thermal liners compressed in the side pouches so we can get them when we go high up for ride in the night....

can't beat a bit of euro touring in my opinion - like it just as much as a bit of knee down action round derbyshire......

i'd show you a pic of it all loaded but don't have one.... have to have it all tucked away as can't be arsed with strapping and things not being in the bike locked away!

decathalon is the place to be for lightweight camping gear - and it's good value for the quality stuff...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice. I think that the gist of what you are saying is "don't worry about it". My wife is not coming with me now, so I am in two minds about using the Trident or my Aprilia. I crashed 4 years ago with the Mrs on the back. Only bumps and bruises, the bike cameff worse, but she is still reluctant to tour. Oh well...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, great info on packing the bike, have to see what we can do.

We had a spill last August on the T100. I ended up with a broken ankle, the wife just bumps and bruises but she's been a bit hesitant about getting back on too. I finally got here to pillion last weekend and the first couple of bends and round-a-bouts were 'interesting'. But she seems to have settled down a bit and is actually looking forward to some more ride outs now :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts